Camera Losing connection

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi
I am having a problem keeping a Dahua IPC-HF4431M-I2 online. It will work for hours at a time and then go offline for a couple of hours for no apparent reason. It is a wired POE system and is monitored on Blue Iris. I have another identical camera in the system which is working well. When it is offline it also shows offline on the "Dahua Config Tool" app so I am pretty sure the issue is not Blue Iris. I have tried a couple of things; changing the location on the ethernet switch, jiggling cables, dope-slap the camera, etc. I first noticed the problem after a power outage. Short of replacing the camera, are there any other diagnostic tests that I can do? I would like to make sure the camera is the real problem before buying a replacement.

These cameras are a couple of years old, they have great pictures, and have been absolutely reliable up until now but they are no longer available. Can anyone suggest a replacement? I can buy another similar camera Dahua IPC-HF4431R-Z for about $90. Any other ideas? Its been a couple of years since I went camera shopping.

Thanks
John

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
  1. If there's any spare port on the switch, move inop cam's cable to that (different) port. (You may have already done this).
  2. Replace the existing Ethernet cable on the inop cam with another cable (tested or working), even if across floor and out window as a temporary just to eliminate existing cable.
  3. Disconnect inop cam from POE source, instead power the inop cam with an external power supply (usually 12VDC @ 1 amp), run Ethernet cable to standard, non-POE switch or to a router LAN port on same subnet as Blue Iris server; the intent is to bypass POE circuitry inside the inop cam in case it was damaged by the power outage/restoration.

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Three good ideas. Already did number 1. Number 2 and 3 are next on the list. I actually have a second POE switch. I will try that next time it goes off line.
Thanks for the help
John