camera loses IP settings on reboot

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hi

my cameras (DS-2CD2732F-IS) are on version 5.4.5 and they seem to lose the IP settings on reboot, anyone had similar issues? Only 2 cams having this issue.

edit - i might have fixed the issue, although i changed the IP using SADP tool, i then had to go in the cam settings to save.

Last edited:

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i thought i fixed it, maybe not... seems to lose the IP on every reboot.

Any ideas anyone?

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
anyone any ideas? I have reloaded firmware, done defaults and still get same issue, seems like after reboot it is getting 192.168.254.11 address.

It seems after a reboot it does work on the IP address for 10 pings before reverting to wrong IP address.

Thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats odd. If you set it to use DHCP, will that be remembered? Most routers have a "static DHCP" feature to always assign the same IP addresses to particular devices.

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
same issue, it seems it is losing the IP settings including the enabled dhcp option.

I am wondering whether the upgrading hack would have caused it?

It is fine on others except the two.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea, really. Strange things can happen if your cameras have been hacked (by a hacker) before, but replacing the firmware should fix that I would think.

Any chance your cameras are accessible from the internet? Either by port forwarding or UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) which is a router "feature" which automatically forwards ports without your knowledge or permission. It is unlikely that your cameras are being re-hacked within 10 seconds of rebooting though, even if they are accessible.

If the cameras are attached to a Hikvision NVR, that could be responsible for the unwanted settings changes. I don't have one myself, but I've heard of encoding settings being changed by an NVR, so it would make sense that it might change network settings too.

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
None of the cameras are doing any port forwarding as i connect to them via a vpn through firewall.

They are indeed connected to a NVR, will look into it, thanks for the suggestion.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Be sure to check for and disable the UPnP setting if you didn't disable it back when you set up the VPN. Just last month I helped someone recover several of his Hikvision cameras that had been hacked because of UPnP.

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks mate all resolved now, NVR was indeed pushing its settings, i changed the password on the spare extra channels and camera now retains its settings. I was about to pull my hair out (that remains) :)

I am using a Sophos firewall as firewall/gateway and no standard home routers, although will get someone i know who is using UPnP to secure his cams.