Camera location for front of the house

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
First and foremost, any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, excuse my attempt at Photoshop ;)

The two cameras I have narrowed down for the right and left side soffit areas are the 5231R-ZE and 2231R-ZS -- from my reading, I believe I'll have to decide if I want the black face and audio. For these two areas I'm worried about the height - it's too high, correct? Should I for sure drill and mount the cameras onto the brick closer to 8 ft? My only concern with this is drilling into the brick and then fishing the Cat6 through the brick wall into the attic.... Once I can get it into the attic I will be fine.

To go for the cleanest look possible, I'm pretty sure I do not want to go the conduit route so the wife will not kill me (sort of a new home for us).

Lastly, your thoughts of a 2.8 or 3.6 mm lens for the front door?

Thanks again for your time.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Personally I dont think there's going to be a big problem with the 9' height on the two "overview" cameras. The front door cam however is key to good facial ID so I like to stay at 6'. Same with the driveway where cars are parked.

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Personally I dont think there's going to be a big problem with the 9' height on the two "overview" cameras. The front door cam however is key to good facial ID so I like to stay at 6'. Same with the driveway where cars are parked.
Thank you! What about the windows below the overview cameras? Do you believe the overview cameras would be able to get a good facial ID from entry into the windows below them? I'm guessing the 5-gallon bucket test is really going to be the only way to see

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Im not saying that you shouldnt try to be at 6-8ft but yes I think at 9' that window will be covered adequately to get an ID.

Lower also gets you better field of view.. mine overlooking the drive are at 7ft as are most of the others.

DVR_CAM 1_main_20181224185120_@1.jpg DVR_CAM 2_main_20181224185154_@1.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @TheE

"Lastly, your thoughts of a 2.8 or 3.6 mm lens for the front door?"

I have a 2.8mm Dahua OEM 2MP mini-dome wedge at eye level by the front door - works well for those right in front of the door, however I can not see the foot of the door so..

You may want another camera or the 2 lens version so you can keep an eye on the package drop location...

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi @TheE

"Lastly, your thoughts of a 2.8 or 3.6 mm lens for the front door?"

I have a 2.8mm Dahua OEM 2MP mini-dome wedge at eye level by the front door - works well for those right in front of the door, however I can not see the foot of the door so..

You may want another camera or the 2 lens version so you can keep an eye on the package drop location...
Thank you, good info to know.