Camera lenses

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

Im finally getting rid of the Zmodo stuff and switching over to Blue Iris.

Is there anyway to know what the Zmodo cameras are IE 2.8, 3.6mm etc?

Im trying to decide what I want and it would help if I can use my current cameras to go off of.

I'm thinking of starting with two Dahua 2MP Starlight Varifocal Turrets and see how it goes.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When setting up a system it is recommend to start with a variable focus camera, this will help you select the correct lens size.

I know nothing about ZMODO.

17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
18) Camera lens size, a bigger number give more range but less field of view. Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?

Last edited:

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When setting up a sstem it uis recommend to start with a variable focus camera, this will help you select the correct lens size.

I know nothing about ZMODE.

17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
18) Camera lens size, a bigger number give more range but less field of view. Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?

Thank you for taking the time to respond SouthernYankee. I appreciate it.

I've been looking through threads and one thing I haven't stumbled across is, why buy a fixed lens camera when you can get ones you can adjust to anything in between? The price doesn't seem to be the reason.
Do the fixed lens cameras often offer better image quality?

The other thing I haven't found is a comparison between the bullet and turret varifocal Starlight cameras. The specifications seem to be identical and yet the turrets appear physically smaller and can move, so why ever use the bullet style?
For example IPC-HDW5231R-ZE turret vs IPC-HFW5231E-ZE bullet.

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It depends on the amount of money you want to spend., A variable focus is good, but when you are purchasing 16 cameras it can be expensive.

10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I've figured out my current cameras are allegedly 720p 2.8mm. Does 2.8mm behave the same at different resolutions?

If so.... I'm stuck choosing between IPC-T5442TM-AS with 2.8mm lens and the venerable IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. They both seem really good at night.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The angle of view of a lens will change based on the image sensor. So a 2.8mm 5231 should have slightly different horizontal/vertical view angles vs. a 2.8mm 5442.

The 5231 is EOL now. If you need a varifocal turret, check out the new varifocal 5442 turret model:

If you'd need a 2MP varifocal turret still in production, this model performs a bit better than the 5231:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I've figured out my current cameras are allegedly 720p 2.8mm. Does 2.8mm behave the same at different resolutions?

If so.... I'm stuck choosing between IPC-T5442TM-AS with 2.8mm lens and the venerable IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. They both seem really good at night.
Typically, a 2.8mm lense is worthless out doors except next to a front door. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
2.8mm lens typically requires the perp to be 10ft or closer for an ID.
Be sure to study this attachment.

Attachments

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Im trying to decide what I want and it would help if I can use my current cameras to go off of.
If you haven't already run across this tool, it can be be helpful with visualizing new cameras:

It'll let you drop a camera on a Google Maps image of your property and then show you estimated images as you drag a little digital dude around your property. It's pretty cool!

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Typically, a 2.8mm lense is worthless out doors except next to a front door. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
2.8mm lens typically requires the perp to be 10ft or closer for an ID.
Be sure to study this attachment.
Two cameras will be 8-10 feet from the area been observed crisscrossing. Tht furthest distance even in view is 20' at most.

I'm still considering varifocal, I've just got a feeling for the front of the house its useless. The sides and backyard are a totally different story. For those I'd want at least one varificol and the LED 4mp turret looks very good.

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you both looney2ns and aristocrat for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it!

I'm very new at this and have a good chance of being totally wrong.