Camera Lens Reference Diagram

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
i have the exact same issue, installed a Hikvision 2.8mm dome camera in the center of the front house wall, thinking it will be enough to capture my 2 cars, side-by-side driveway, but nope, it does not capture enough area. have been thinking if a turrent camera will improve coverage

what do you recommend using for driveway then?
depends but if you mount the cam around 9' you're gonna need a good 6mm if you park say within 10' of the house.

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Fancy!

Does that by chance scale down to do pet recognition and open/close a cat flap ;)

I've had a raccoon and a stray cat wander in the house. Not fun & safe for the creatures who's home it is. It causes big fights, sends fur flying, stuff gets broken, ...
What? Your camera can't differentiate between a Raccoon, and a cat? Junk! :)

Stanislav7

n3wb
Reaction score
There is free CCTV Design Lens Calculator based on VideoCAD principles. You can calculate field-of-view, pixel density, model images on different distances using embedded or your own pictures, calculate horizontal and vertical projections and more.

In case of more needs there are CCTV Design software for all levels from Starter to Professional

Last edited:

ecschnei

n3wb
Reaction score
Everything in life I do is for fun. But this is used to open the gates to our community based on a plate match.
How are you building a database to search through...my idea is just for flair. I want to have announcements in my house when our friends arrive based on plate recognition.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How are you building a database to search through...my idea is just for flair. I want to have announcements in my house when our friends arrive based on plate recognition.
There are cameras with internal ANPR that can automatically trigger a built in relay if a plate matches it's internal database.
Nest Hello + Google Home can do this using facial recognition at your door.

fyi: user networkcameracritic passed away several years ago, this is a pretty old thread.

ecschnei

n3wb
Reaction score
There are cameras with internal ANPR that can automatically trigger a built in relay if a plate matches it's internal database.
Nest Hello + Google Home can do this using facial recognition at your door.

fyi: user networkcameracritic passed away several years ago, this is a pretty old thread.
I'm so sorry to hear that. Thank you for answering the post

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk