Camera intermittently stuttering offline many times each day

thejbgc

n3wb
Reaction score
One of my several PoE cameras is going offline frequently I've replaced the camera with different model and also PoE injector. Made sure wiring was correct. It works 99% of the time but has multiple times each day that it will go offline for a few seconds on/off. I've attached a screenshot of the no signal count and overall settings for reference.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Usually that is a power or wiring issue, but it sounds like you have ruled that out.

What is the camera brand? I see it has a KEY of 0.26, which tells me it is probably an offbrand cheapo or a Reolink. Do you actually see the camera go offline and the signal and image goes blank or is it because the FPS and KEY drop so low that BI is interpreting it as going offline and it really isn't?

thejbgc

n3wb
Reaction score
wittaj,

Thanks for the reply. It is an Amcrest dome camera.

Good question. When looking at my screen it will show offline, signal and image go to grey screen

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow - that seems odd - do you have it at that low of FPS and frame rate?

Is it a wifi cam or are the cameras going thru your router or are they isolated from the internet via VLAN or dual NIC?

msquared

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not saying this is the cause, but I've seen that before on cameras that I added to BI manually. Do you see any issues connecting directly to the camera? I would have intermittent connections, weird frame rate readings, grey screen with pixellation at the bottom. When I added cameras using the inspect button, should pick the correct settings to pull the stream. I have not had an issue since. You may also want to adjust the bitrate and fps, just to see if you notice a difference. Follow best practices when setting up cams in BI. Match fps and i frame, use appropriate bitrate for resolution. Be aware of camera capabilities, just because it may say 30fps doesn't mean you need to run 30fps and max the camera CPU out where the feed starts dropping. And recommend setting to base H.264 in the camera settings.

Last edited: