Camera installation question???

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I initially questioned the need for P2P at both sites. Wanted to confirm if it is truly needed or it was potentially a type-o.

At this point it seems there is a legit need for two pairs of P2P equip, one for each site. But the P2P will not be bridging the remote site 10 miles away

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Would love to know what kind of Internet is available at either site? If a hardline isn’t available perhaps cellular?

This might also be a good time to review if Tesla’s satellite is an option too to connect both sites together. A PtP bridge would still be needed there to connect the different structures.

Just throwing out some options to consider as it pertains to ISP.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well this needs to be confirmed if they are literally coming down to remove all the hardware. Because if they are just going to remove some than you deal with what is going to be removed.

UPS, doesn’t matter get one anytime. Cameras well that’s a problem because you need eyes to see! Taking the NVR because each camera doesn’t have edge recording that’s a problem.

Taking the PtP Bridge well that’s a problem. All of the above isn’t a problem when you can plan and schedule to replace the same.

Have them put it in writing exactly what happens when the contract ends. His copy of the contract should call all of this out anyways so ask your Buddy!
I just talked to them, and it was a type of lease. They still own the the equipment, and will come to pick it up when the lease is cancelled.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I just talked to them, and it was a type of lease. They still own the the equipment, and will come to pick it up when the lease is cancelled.
Well, let the games begin . . . I would add insure they don’t pull a dick move and cut all the lines too short or the jacks at the cameras.

Seen that in lots of take overs!

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Would love to know what kind of Internet is available at either site? If a hardline isn’t available perhaps cellular?

This might also be a good time to review if Tesla’s satellite is an option too to connect both sites together. A PtP bridge would still be needed there to connect the different structures.

Just throwing out some options to consider as it pertains to ISP.
There is internet out there, just not fiber. So, that is not a problem.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
You asked what viewing experience the business owner can expect if 2 BI machines were to be implemented.

The recommended method would be to configure a VPN (Server) on each site's router. Disclaimer: the router needs to support a VPN connection.

The owner would have a VPN client installed on a mobile device, laptop or home PC that would allow him connect to each site. Once VPN session is established he could either use an app or log into the web GUI of the respective BI server, and watch realtime or review footage

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
cut all the lines too short or the jacks at the cameras.
thats why you ALWAYS stay behind someone who deinstall something from your property !

i seen this shit many times... (also when they cut other wires on installation job and later tell they did nothing).

another bitch move... install shit on systems/remove something which is necassary after contract is ended.. so you have to call them to get it fixed :mad:

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You asked what viewing experience the business owner can expect if 2 BI machines were to be implemented.

The recommended method would be to configure a VPN (Server) on each site's router. Disclaimer: the router needs to support a VPN connection.

The owner would have a VPN client installed on a mobile device, laptop or home PC that would allow him connect to each site. Once VPN session is established he could either use an app or log into the web GUI of the respective BI server, and watch realtime or review footage
So, will he be able to see both places on the same BI app at the same time? This is my biggest concern.
What if he didn't have a VPN??? That is one thing I know he does not have right now with what he is using.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
thats why you ALWAYS stay behind someone who deinstall something from your property !

i seen this shit many times... (also when they could wires on installation job and later tell they did nothing).

another bitch move... install shit on systems/remove something which is necassary after contract is ended.. so you have to call them to get it fixed :mad:
On paper it sounds easy but in reality that’s near impossible when multiple techs are on site pulling gear. Nobody has ever followed me up a ceiling / roof when the mercury is 55’C!

I’ve seen many sites where the tech spiked the line. That’s why the company I worked for back in the day never ever used existing wire unless the site agreed to certifying all runs which they had to pay for up front.

If any cable failed that run was replaced. Regardless of the run all connection were re-terminated at both ends. A site survey of the entire wiring infrastructure was audited and documented before it was signed off.

Nobody is risking their business name and reputation on someone else’s work. Which doesn’t even address insurance & liability. Doing work in commercial one would think it’s all gravy when in fact depending upon the region it sometimes appears to be some backwoods DIY!

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
So, will he be able to see both places on the same BI app at the same time? This is my biggest concern.
What if he didn't have a VPN??? That is one thing I know he does not have right now with what he is using.
I am not sure if BI app or other viewing app would support viewing two servers simultaneously. Hopefully other memers will speak to that question

As for lack of VPN? Simply said, it will not be secure. How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!)

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay, I understand about the VPN. So, how does it work for viewing the 2 different sites? Since I have never had 2 different sites, how does that work for the app? Thanks again for your time.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I am not sure if BI app or other viewing app would support viewing two servers simultaneously. Hopefully other memers will speak to that question
I think this was discussed on another thread... "site to site" vpn connection is the keyword.. ;)

we all have to remember... this is a company ! so @looney2ns is right with what he is saying.

you might be able to install something on your home , setup a cheap asus vpn router , but dealing with companies might be a next level job... also you have to think about what happens if you damage other installations... are you even insured to handle the costs ? what happens if your installation is the cause of fire and one location burn down? are you insured ? i am not familiar with us liability system, but it may take you everything you have.

i would take @looney2ns suggestion as a good hint...

PAY someone who install you some GOOD network equipment and cables... if you buy everything from ubiquiti you can have all what you want...
2x Ubiquiti security gateway
4x Ubiquiti poe switch
4x p2p bridge
proper cables to cameras ...

they are able to set up site to site vpn connections etc ... are able to run streaming over p2p bridges without issues, vlans, 801x ............. many more

2x nvr or BI computer
12x 5442

you end up by paying around 3000-5000 USD for the equipment

i dont think that it would cost 25.000 USD to run cables for 12 cameras / install p2p bridges .................................. but can be possible, we not seen anything. if existing cables could be used, it would be much cheaper..

configuration can be done by someone else.

i would not even trust something (other than cables) if they leave it. who knows how old the p2p bridge is ? maybe it is not good enough to handle more traffic than before, ........ there can be many reasons to not use old equipment from maybe decades ago... sure you will find one who do it to cut the costs, and then the problems arise...

Last edited:

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
What is a company?
From my understanding, your friend have a company with 2 locations he want to observe somehow. Not private home usage.

If i am wrong, correct me

how does it work for viewing the 2 different sites? Since I have never had 2 different sites, how does that work for the app? Thanks again for your time.
these questions may not qualify you for the job as @looney2ns already mention.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's a farming business. He is not too concerned. He has a shop with equipment that he has cameras in and a bin sight that he has cameras on. I am the one that does all his tech work anyway. I guess I am confused about the qualifications.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm asking basic questions so I make sure I'm not missing something. As for a business, read what it is. It is a guy that has a shop. He has buildings that has equipment. He has bins. He wants cameras in the shop to see things once in a while. He has cameras on his bins to check them once in awhile. That's it. Nothing really based on security. He just wants to see his stuff. He's in a wheelchair and can't get out to these places very easy. I don't want him to pay outrageous prices when I know I can get it done. That's it. AS for business, well I don't know what to say.

I guess I never should have said company in the intro.