Camera installation location needed

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am trying to install one camera on the back of row/townhouse:
ab1.JPG

Somebody can walk under the deck from another unit. Only way to the first floor is through the stairs.
My idea was to install one wideangle camera under the deck, covering the two windows and the stairs.
I though that I could install a compact dome such as a Hikvision on the left window on the white window trim. Maybe 2 feet above ground in order to capture a face of someone walking up the stairs.

Bad/good idea? What other options could I consider?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@nikleb Here is my 2 cents… this is assuming your unit is the one on the left as you look at the picture AND you have access to the attic.

The below thought is referenced with red.
I would put a run of conduit in the corner of that sun porch from the attic through the sun porch floor with a junction box under the floor that a 2.8mm camera attached – most likely a turret camera. This should provide total coverage under the deck and the base of the steps.
I would then put another short run down a foot of the other wall and place another 2.8 turret on the side wall to that slider glass door the get the top of the stairs all the deck.

The below thought is referenced with blue.
If the left unit is not yours and you cannot get access to the sun porch attic or it is not shared space with the main attic then consider a single 4mm camera mounted under the eve.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions.

My unit consists of both sides on the picture (sun porch and open deck).
I was hoping to get away with one camera. I think your idea with the camera under the deck on the left could work if I get a 90 degree viewing angle.
The only way onto the deck is through the stairs.