Camera in BI switches IPs spontaneously?

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have 3 cameras in a group, called EastvaleNorth (192.168.1.56), EastvaleSouth (.58), and RainbowRidge (.59):

1688759011915.png

When I installed RainbowRidge a few days ago, I set it up in BI by cloning EastvaleSouth, since it's the same model, and then changing its IP assignment to .59.

Since then I've found that the "EastvaleSouth" instance in BI will sometimes spontaneously change from .58 to .59 and pick up the feed from the RainbowRidge camera instead:

1688759238918.png

I can "fix" it by reassigning it back to .58, but then I've missed a few hours of coverage on EastvaleSouth.

I'm tempted to just blow away the EastvaleSouth instance in BI and set it up manually, but I'm thinking that this might be revealing a bug somewhere in BI. Curiously, this started when I installed RainbowRidge as a clone of EVSouth. It worked fine for months before I did that. And the problem I'm seeing is with EVSouth, not with the newly-installed RainbowRidge instance.

Has anyone seen something similar?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Newer versions are looking for MAC address and will reassign IPs. You need to uncheck that box if you have manually assigned IP addresses.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
In BI under camera settings, Video tab, Configure, check the box for Skip initial MAC, HTTP, DNS reachability tests.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI versions from 5.6.2.1 (Sept. 27, '22) and later have an option on the cam's IP/user/pass config page referred to as "discovery and status" which uses the cam's MAC address to locate the cam; insure that feature is disabled.

Configure all cams to have a unique, static IP in the same subnet as the BI server's LAN but outside the router's DHCP pool.

I have a much earlier version and cannot test it or offer much much info but I've heard of that causing issues as you describe.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, all. Now it all makes sense, and especially why I'm seeing problems with the first camera and not the second.

Would it makes sense to change the "Copy from another camera" feature to omit the MAC and IP address, or at least make those items optional, as these are unlikely to be desired? Or do people use "Copy" differently than I'm using?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
People use it to make clones so sometimes you want it the same.