Camera Gurus: Please share your thoughts....

RSYC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I see a lot of cam reviews and recommendations on the same makes on here (Amcrest, Dahua, Foscam, Hikvision), but I haven’t found much on Cortex. Are they a rebrand of one of these before mentioned brands? If not, how do they compare in terms of product quality and performance capability?

My specifications were for a midlevel system with room to grow with 3 cameras for general purpose exterior view and 1 camera capable of LPR for moving vehicles around 20MPH.
My quote was for:
1 8 channel POE NVR w/2TB purple WD drive: 3 5MP Turret w/ 3.6mm fixed lens: 1 5 MP Bullet cam with 5-50mm VF zoom lens: 1k feet of Cat5E cable
The price tag for this package was around $900 (USD).

I see a comparable spec system on Amazon (except for the LPR cam) for around $400 on a Reolink brand: Reolink 8CH 5MP PoE Home Security Camera System, 4pcs Wired 5MP Outdoor PoE IP Cameras, 8MP/4K 8-Channel NVR with 2TB HDD for 24/7 Recording, RLK8-410B4-5MP
I know nothing about the pros and cons of either brand, so I’m hoping that some of you guys that are experienced in these camera systems can weigh in and advise if its worth the price difference based on build quality.

@looney2ns
@fenderman
@bp2008
@catcamstar
@SouthernYankee
@TonyR
@Mike
@mikeynags
@Mr_D
@Walrus
@Dasstrum
@aristobrat
@mat200

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Both cameras have 1/2.7" sensors. I wouldn't have high hopes for good quality night time captures. And as for a LPR you'll definitely need a much better sensor to capture plates at night. Just by the look of the camera they appear to be a Dahua rebrand and not a Hikvision.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Grommie @RSYC

I have no idea about the Cortex brand, so you'll need to do some research on it. Ideally track down the OEM...

I think there's already plenty of great information shared in ipcamtalk on good recommended cameras and setups, so it will be up to you if you want to stray from what others are sharing their experience on .

Re: Reolink - lots of great threads on Reolink here already, and the executive summary: Not recommend by members and site managers.

Do share if you find out more about the OEM of Cortex...

1593815604608.png
1593815638752.png
1593815662898.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking at those two cameras, with those sensors they'd probably be OK in 2MP but in 5MP they're not going to perform very well, at all, at night.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
18) Camera lens size, a bigger number give more range but less field of view. Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?

RSYC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Grommie @RSYC

I have no idea about the Cortex brand, so you'll need to do some research on it. Ideally track down the OEM...

I think there's already plenty of great information shared in ipcamtalk on good recommended cameras and setups, so it will be up to you if you want to stray from what others are sharing their experience on .

Re: Reolink - lots of great threads on Reolink here already, and the executive summary: Not recommend by members and site managers.

Do share if you find out more about the OEM of Cortex...

View attachment 65420
View attachment 65422
View attachment 65423
No luck on finding the OEM on that brand from the sales people, but I will keep digging. Thank for your input on the Reolink. That puts me back at square 1, but its better than moving forward unprepared and being disappointed later. thanks for your feedback