Camera goes on/off on hot days.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have this one ip camera that goes on/off on hot days 85+ Fahrenheit. I can unplug it’s cable from my poe switch plug it back in and it works again for a little while… so a heat issue.

I switched it out with another camera of the same model that I know works fine located in the same building exposed to the same heat and powerd by the same switch and it to does the same thing. Now the other camera works fine at a different location in the same building.

I then tired a different poe switch and the issue is still there and different ports.

I have multiple cable testers and the cable passes.

In the colder temps I have zero issues it’s only later in the day when the temps rise and a simple unplug and replug the camera works again for a bit.

so it has to be the cable right? It’s the only thing left but why would a cable have these weird issue only on hot days.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has to be. Does not give me much faith in the cable testers.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Might be intermittent or good enough to indicate continuity but not good enough pass enough power, etc.

Data in my case, but just the other day I noticed that my gig Internet was running < 100Mbps. Everything that I looked at checked out. Internal speeds fine. Verizon said I should be good. Checked various things hardware/software on my pfSense box, restarted, changed interface speeds, etc. Cable tested fine end to end. Etc., etc. Finally simply unplugged/replugged a cable on a secondary patch panel that I've not touched for years and back to full speed. So I suppose just enough corrosion or whatever at that connection to make it marginal.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Might be intermittent or good enough to indicate continuity but not good enough pass enough power, etc.

Data in my case, but just the other day I noticed that my gig Internet was running < 100Mbps. Everything that I looked at checked out. Internal speeds fine. Verizon said I should be good. Checked various things hardware/software on my pfSense box, restarted, changed interface speeds, etc. Cable tested fine end to end. Etc., etc. Finally simply unplugged/replugged a cable on a secondary patch panel that I've not touched for years and back to full speed. So I suppose just enough corrosion or whatever at that connection to make it marginal.
A little Deoxit to the rescue! It may well prevent future episodes like this.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't want to say it's not the wiring, just that there's a chance it's the camera. I had one that became intermittent with high temps after being out in the weather for a few years. There are some models that have higher reported failures than others.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
If one is going to use staples for securing, might I suggest using a Zip-tie too?
Staple the Zip-tie ridges down to the wood. Don't snug them down too tightly
as to not crush the twisted pairs!