Camera for office waiting room

tksanchez

n3wb
Reaction score
i would like to set up a camera in a small waiting room, that will notifiy me when a patient walks into the room. I would like to be able to see the camera feed on my iphone, what camera and how would i do this. I have a internet connection to my office. I apologize if i am posting this in the wrong place. I saw that Andy at empire has cameras on sale

Thank you

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Be aware that in AZ it is one party consent BUT you should post a sign in the waiting area. Below is an excerpt from
13-3019. Surreptitious photographing, videotaping, filming or digitally recording or viewing; exemptions; classification; definitions

"Photographing, videotaping, filming or digitally recording for security purposes is allowed if notice of the use of photographing, videotaping, filming or digital recording equipment is clearly posted in the location and the location is one in which the person has a reasonable expectation of privacy."

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
After following TonyR recommendation, consider a Dahua slim Wedge IP camera series. For local viewing, just assign a local ip address to your camera (connected to your router switch), while using your PC for watching (Smart PSS software). You could use an electronic “ding-dong “ at front door to notify a patient entering the office

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
you could also watch locally using your smart phone using DMSS app. Just connect your phone to your office wifi network

tksanchez

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies, I appreciate your time. I do have a door chime in the door, the problem is my office is in a large building, the kitchen is on the other side. When I go to eat my lunch in kitchen. I am always running back to office to make sure no one is in waiting room ( l work by myself ). The clinic is a walk-in clinic. No appointment necessary

I will have to think what to do, now that I think about it it is kind of weird to have camera in waiting room, I had not thought about that, just for notification purposes

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies, I appreciate your time. I do have a door chime in the door, the problem is my office is in a large building, the kitchen is on the other side. When I go to eat my lunch in kitchen. I am always running back to office to make sure no one is in waiting room ( l work by myself ). The clinic is a walk-in clinic. No appointment necessary

I will have to think what to do, now that I think about it it is kind of weird to have camera in waiting room, I had not thought about that, just for notification purposes
This might be a HIPPA problem.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd use an alarm PIR sensor, or dual technology PIR/microwave sensor, in the waiting room. No worries about surreptitious recording or HIPPA that way.

Last edited:

DavidW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
perhaps a cheaper camera aimed right at the door without audio? Or even to the entryway outside of the door. If you have alerts you could view the time last triggered and they wont have a camera pointed at them the entire time during their wait.

tksanchez

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, a camera set up outside office. I would know when someone entered the office or I could set up a pir sensor at office door that would send notifications. What do you all think?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, a camera set up outside office. I would know when someone entered the office or I could set up a pir sensor at office door that would send notifications. What do you all think?
Hi @tksanchez

I'm not certain anyone here is fully qualified to give you a full OK on HIPPA and internet exposed IP cameras.

DavidW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I personally think a camera in an office building such as a waiting room is perfectly legal and fine as you mostly set up appointments and payments. Depending on the type of waiting room it's in public and there are no expectations of privacy. Though I agree most here would only attempt to satisfy your needs and not experts.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you have an attorney, check with him/her/they/whatever. The motion sensor wouldn't violate anything I can think of, but I'm not an attorney. The big problem is every State treats things differently. I'd much prefer a camera for that type of use but an attorney may nix that. It is worth the money to find out for sure, IMHO.