Camera For Fireplace Mantel

czrabode

n3wb
Reaction score

Hi. I want to put a camera on the fireplace mantel in the middle. Any recommendations for this? The mantel is 5ft high. The camera will probably sit on the mantel instead of being mounted on the wall. I have CAT5 behind the TV. Night vision is optional. When my alarm goes off, I have automation that turns all lights on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I think i'd rather leave the lights out when the alarm goes off so they can't see me, then I can hit one of my super bright weapon lights, blind them, and fill them full of holes. Or if I were in a less free country/state beat them to bloody hell after I blind them lol.

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Go to the “lightinthebox” or “gearbest” website and look at the HQcam cameras. They are not world class but are small and therefore discrete. They are 1.65” square and 1.34” deep and have a 20 to 30 foot IR range.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a silver version of this re-branded Dahua, the Amcrest IPM-721, in service for 2-1/2 years without a blip.
  • It's pan/tilt, digital zoom; has IR with IR-cut
  • Is Wi-Fi but has Ethernet
  • They have a black version.
  • It has an alarm input and an alarm output (alarm in to trigger record)
  • It has mike in and speaker out (also both built-in)
  • This one is 720p but there's a 1080p version, the IP2M-841 (I think it has the same I/O and features, just higher res.)
  • It can be mounted upside down and image inverted.
  • It has privacy masking.
  • I have time stamp off, am using Blue Iris' overlay.
  • You can stream RTSP to VLC
  • It is Blue Iris compatible
  • It'll record to microSD card or NAS, will FTP
  • You could sit on mantle or mount upside-down under mantel with included bracket
Sample snapshot below of 720p, reduced 50% to 360 to fit this screen with black sample privacy mask.
This watches two 4-legged K9 alarms (the Chihuahua model) when we're away. To meet WAF (Wife Approval Factor), the privacy mask of her on the recliner was a must).

Cam24.20180724_161707_med.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

czrabode

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a silver version of this re-branded Dahua, the Amcrest IPM-721, in service for 2-1/2 years without a blip.
  • It's pan/tilt, digital zoom; has IR with IR-cut
  • Is Wi-Fi but has Ethernet
  • They have a black version.
  • It has an alarm input and an alarm output (alarm in to trigger record)
  • It has mike in and speaker out (also both built-in)
  • This one is 720p but there's a 1080p version, the IP2M-841 (I think it has the same I/O and features, just higher res.)
  • It can be mounted upside down and image inverted.
  • It has privacy masking.
  • I have time stamp off, am using Blue Iris' overlay.
  • You can stream RTSP to VLC
  • It is Blue Iris compatible
  • It'll record to microSD card or NAS, will FTP
  • You could sit on mantle or mount upside-down under mantel with included bracket
Sample snapshot below of 720p, reduced 50% to 360 to fit this screen with black sample privacy mask.
This watches two 4-legged K9 alarms (the Chihuahua model) when we're away. To meet WAF (Wife Approval Factor), the privacy mask of her on the recliner was a must).

View attachment 31744
Is this a “Starlight” model? If not, do you know of any Starlight with a similar form factor?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is this a “Starlight” model? If not, do you know of any Starlight with a similar form factor?

It is a Sony sensor, but not Starvis (Starlight); I think the Starlight is only marketed outside U.S., perhaps @fenderman , @looney2ns , @mat200 can clarify this. You can, however, buy Dahua Starlight cams directly from highly regarded IPCT frorum member and merchant @EMPIRETECANDY ; he has an amazon.com storefront (Empire Technology) and on aliexpress. Go to his profile for links and contact info.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is a Sony sensor, but not Starvis (Starlight); I think the Starlight is only marketed outside U.S., perhaps @fenderman , @looney2ns , @mat200 can clarify this. You can, however, buy Dahua Starlight cams directly from highly regarded IPCT frorum member and merchant @EMPIRETECANDY ; he has an amazon.com storefront (Empire Technology) and on aliexpress. Go to his profile from links and contact info.
Hi @czrabode @TonyR

I don't think those Amcrest indoor rated PT cameras are starlights.
( the way I check is to go to the Dahua internation site and look for what they have labeled as starlight )

For their affordable price they are well liked cameras by users.

If you're looking for starlight model - do check the 2MP models Andy carries in his store - some will work nicely indoors and there is iirc a new PT model which has been reviewed here by one of the members, perhaps looney2ns.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @czrabode @TonyR

I don't think those Amcrest indoor rated PT cameras are starlights.
( the way I check is to go to the Dahua internation site and look for what they have labeled as starlight )

For their affordable price they are well liked cameras by users.

If you're looking for starlight model - do check the 2MP models Andy carries in his store - some will work nicely indoors and there is iirc a new PT model which has been reviewed here by one of the members, perhaps looney2ns.
mat, is this it ==>> here?

czrabode

n3wb
Reaction score
@mat200 and @TonyR, the dome camera SD1A203T-GN seems interesting. But I wonder if these cameras need to be hung or if you can just rest them on their base, on top of the mantel?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mat200 and @TonyR, the dome camera SD1A203T-GN seems interesting. But I wonder if these cameras need to be hung or if you can just rest them on their base, on top of the mantel?

Good question about the PTZ - uncertain about orientation needs. Typically they are ceiling mounted, and thus mounting them in another orientation maybe an issue. Have to check with folks here who know this better.

Maybe the Dahua mini-dome wedge? Could place it on the wall just under or on the side of the TV.