Camera Dropping Issue

timelinex

n3wb
Reaction score
A year ago I had 6 LTS (LT security) cameras and an NVR installed. My front gate camera is a good 100 feet from the NVR. A few weeks ago I noticed my feed dropped for the camera and it just showed as not connected. My installer is no longer in business so I have no recourse there.

-Connecting and disconnecting the Cat from the NVR doesn't help

-Rebooting the NVR doesn't help.

I went in my attic and noticed he had to use a Cat5e coupler because the Cat cable didn't reach by 10ft or so. I disconnected and connected the coupler and it recognized the camera a few minutes later. Then a week later the feed dropped again! I know couplers can go bad, so I replaced the coupler and also the patch cable with a different cat5e cable because the patch cable looked a bit worn. The first replacement coupler actually didn't work at all (what bad luck!), but a second one did. Then 2 days later and the camera is not showing up again!

I'm handy and good with DIY but have no expertise in CCTV. The attic is a huge pain to get to, so I prefer not having to go back and forth (12ft ceilings means getting a big heavy ladder in a tiny closet, and the attic is like a jungle gym with all the whole house LAN/coax network being ran across everywhere) . So I want to have a plan solid before going back up there.

Advice on what to do next?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A year ago I had 6 LTS (LT security) cameras and an NVR installed. My front gate camera is a good 100 feet from the NVR. A few weeks ago I noticed my feed dropped for the camera and it just showed as not connected. My installer is no longer in business so I have no recourse there.

-Connecting and disconnecting the Cat from the NVR doesn't help

-Rebooting the NVR doesn't help.

I went in my attic and noticed he had to use a Cat5e coupler because the Cat cable didn't reach by 10ft or so. I disconnected and connected the coupler and it recognized the camera a few minutes later. Then a week later the feed dropped again! I know couplers can go bad, so I replaced the coupler and also the patch cable with a different cat5e cable because the patch cable looked a bit worn. The first replacement coupler actually didn't work at all (what bad luck!), but a second one did. Then 2 days later and the camera is not showing up again!

I'm handy and good with DIY but have no expertise in CCTV. The attic is a huge pain to get to, so I prefer not having to go back and forth (12ft ceilings means getting a big heavy ladder in a tiny closet, and the attic is like a jungle gym with all the whole house LAN/coax network being ran across everywhere) . So I want to have a plan solid before going back up there.

Advice on what to do next?
What a douche.
He may of used Cooper Clad Aluminum cable instead of solid copper cable.
That will cause issue's after time.
If it's possible, Replace the cable all the way from the cam all the way to the NVR, in one continuous piece. Don't use couplers.
You may also want to check the connection out at the camera.
It could be corroded outside, because it wasn't waterproofed properly.

timelinex

n3wb
Reaction score
What a douche.
He may of used Cooper Clad Aluminum cable instead of solid copper cable.
That will cause issue's after time.
If it's possible, Replace the cable all the way from the cam all the way to the NVR, in one continuous piece. Don't use couplers.
You may also want to check the connection out at the camera.
It could be corroded outside, because it wasn't waterproofed properly.
I really appreciate your reply!

Yea, I had some other issues with him as well initially but he resolved them. He had good reviews online and SEEMED to be legit, but I think he may have hijacked an older company name or something to gain the credibility. He did our business first and it worked out well, but I think a warehouse with exposed wire is alot easier than working in an attic. Oh well, nothing I can do now.

I will check the camera connection. So you think it is possible it is the long run? The only reason I thought it was the coupler is since connecting and disconnecting from the NVR did nothing but connecting at a coupler did do something. I don't know why working with the coupler would do something VS at the NVR if it was just the long run cable.

It's possible to re-run a new cable, and I guess I would do that if that's what is wrong. The cable he used looks decent quality with "nice" looking RJ45 end pieces . It's also the same ones used on our 10 business cameras and my other house cameras and none of the other cameras have an issue. Maybe I actually just need to replace the patch cable with something of higher quality? I didn't realize the quality was of high importance and just used a cable I had laying around. It's just labelled cat5e on it, so I'm not sure if it's CCA or not. The patch cable he used was crappy looking too. So maybe that's the issue ? (even though it worked for MONTHS).

Can you recommend a good cable off Amazon? I have a terminator so it doesn't have to be a ptach cable. It's just so hard to know what are actually good items or what is just an "amazon sensation" with questionable raving reviews. Monoprice has some Cat6 23awg pure bare copper wire rolls on Amazon but there were a few reviews that said it didn't work well which makes me skeptical.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If he crimped the cable end at the coupler, it could be a poor crimp job or it could be CCA wire.
It could still be the connection out at the gate if he didn't water proof it correctly.
Bad form to use couplers when he should of ran the cable all the way to the NVR.

Order direct from monoprice, not amazon, that way you know you are getting legit cable.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
timelinex,
Welcome to the forum!

Couplers are for temporary use, not permanent. Couplers indicate a lack of professionalism and a hokey install.
I know "temporary" can turn into "permanent". Been there.
I used a coupler to "temporarily" connect a cam on my test rig in the winter. I moved the cam a few times, and tweaked the cam location. I'm glad I did, I like the improved view now..

Since it was winter, I figured I could wait for better weather to replace my 100' and 50' pre-terminated patch cables. The coupler was outdoors. I sealed it inside two zip lock bags, and taped it shut. After several month, the cam dropped off line. I opened the zip locks, no water was inside. However, moisture got in, as evidenced by the blackened contacts on the RJ45 and in the coupler. The poe current, in a moist environment, was the culprit.
I cleaned the RJ45 contacts, and replaced the coupler. Problem solved. (temporarily, lol)

I suggest you examine the contacts at the coupler and RJ45 in the attic. If your attic is like most, you have roof vents. So the attic is a semi-outdoors environment. And I suggest you closely examine the contacts near the gate camera. Oxidation at two places, cumulatively, could be the problem. Which could explain why your repair to half of the problem (attic coupler) didn't last long. Maybe the connection at the gate camera degraded further, increasing the overall impedance/resistance, and so the problem returned.

Check the internet for ways to determine if your cat cable is CCA or not. It may be, based on the installers demonstrated lack of professionalism....

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Fastb

timelinex

n3wb
Reaction score
timelinex,
Welcome to the forum!

Couplers are for temporary use, not permanent. Couplers indicate a lack of professionalism and a hokey install.
I know "temporary" can turn into "permanent". Been there.
I used a coupler to "temporarily" connect a cam on my test rig in the winter. I moved the cam a few times, and tweaked the cam location. I'm glad I did, I like the improved view now..

Since it was winter, I figured I could wait for better weather to replace my 100' and 50' pre-terminated patch cables. The coupler was outdoors. I sealed it inside two zip lock bags, and taped it shut. After several month, the cam dropped off line. I opened the zip locks, no water was inside. However, moisture got in, as evidenced by the blackened contacts on the RJ45 and in the coupler. The poe current, in a moist environment, was the culprit.
I cleaned the RJ45 contacts, and replaced the coupler. Problem solved. (temporarily, lol)

I suggest you examine the contacts at the coupler and RJ45 in the attic. If your attic is like most, you have roof vents. So the attic is a semi-outdoors environment. And I suggest you closely examine the contacts near the gate camera. Oxidation at two places, cumulatively, could be the problem. Which could explain why your repair to half of the problem (attic coupler) didn't last long. Maybe the connection at the gate camera degraded further, increasing the overall impedance/resistance, and so the problem returned.

Check the internet for ways to determine if your cat cable is CCA or not. It may be, based on the installers demonstrated lack of professionalism....

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Fastb
I appreciate the in depth reply!

I guess I have to think about what to do next. Obviously the gate camera connection is the easiest and first place I will look. I am in Phoenix, AZ so while we deal with alot of heat, rust/degradation from moisture and water is generally not an issue. I will take a look at the old couplers contact points as well.

I have been thinking about adding 2-3 cameras though so maybe this is a good excuse to pull the trigger on that. I'll hire someone to do that and have them rerun the faulty line. Any advice on how to find a reliable installer that's reasonably priced?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I appreciate the in depth reply!

I guess I have to think about what to do next. Obviously the gate camera connection is the easiest and first place I will look. I am in Phoenix, AZ so while we deal with alot of heat, rust/degradation from moisture and water is generally not an issue. I will take a look at the old couplers contact points as well.

I have been thinking about adding 2-3 cameras though so maybe this is a good excuse to pull the trigger on that. I'll hire someone to do that and have them rerun the faulty line. Any advice on how to find a reliable installer that's reasonably priced?
An electrician that is certified for low voltage.

timelinex

n3wb
Reaction score

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I am in Phoenix, AZ so while we deal with alot of heat, rust/degradation from moisture and water is generally not an issue.
I'm in rainy Seattle. Very different than dry Phoenix.
So Looney2ns may be on the right track, w/ his CCA hunch.

Any advice on how to find a reliable installer that's reasonably priced?
Good advice from Looney2ns, as usual.
I'm DIY, so no guidance for finding someone.
If adding 2-3 cams, and replacing the cable run to your gate cam, you may need two contractors. One to trench and another to install conduit (optional) and underground Cat 6.

timelinex

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm in rainy Seattle. Very different than dry Phoenix.
So Looney2ns may be on the right track, w/ his CCA hunch.

Good advice from Looney2ns, as usual.
I'm DIY, so no guidance for finding someone.
If adding 2-3 cams, and replacing the cable run to your gate cam, you may need two contractors. One to trench and another to install conduit (optional) and underground Cat 6.
I should have been more clear. This camera isn't the one at the actual gate but on the front of the house. It's a hassle to reach because of fire blocks, but luckily it isn't the situation you are describing!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
general advice on cable pulling. Always pull at least 2 cables to each location or pull one more than you will need.