Camera Discovery

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am having trouble installing a new camera. The port used to work but, now when I plug the new camera in I can not find the ip address to connect. When I go into ip config and click on camera discovery none of the ip's from the cameras are coming up? I've tried switching cables to no luck but, the old camera was working right before I unplugged and hoked the new camera up. Any ideas? New camera is a Hykamic Outdoor 4 Megapixels PoE Dome IP Security Camera- IP66 Weatherproof, 2K HD (2.8mm Lens)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like an IP address range has changed somewhere. Have you switched ISPs or changed your router at all?

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, but we lose power a lot and sometimes all my ip's change and I have to go back in a enter the new ones. That hasn't happened lately and it's funny because even on the cameras that are working when you go to camera discovery and click search no ip's come up either.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
When you say "the cameras that are working" do you mean in Blue Iris or other software? Does the "non working" camera have documentation that gives its' default IP address?

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In BI, I'll have to check on the back of it

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You should never have to reenter the IP address... Go into your router settings and reserved the IP address for each camera based on its Mac address ... The router will then assign the same IP address regardless of how many times the power goes out

jland47

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried that, unless I did it wrong but they still change sometimes.I have to renter the wan or lan to log in to BI on my mobile as well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried that, unless I did it wrong but they still change sometimes.I have to renter the wan or lan to log in to BI on my mobile as well.
you did it wrong....
if you have to reenter the lan, you failed to reserve the blue iris pc...if you have to reenter the wan, your public ip is changing and you need to either use a ddns service or use blue iris's built in quasi ddns service that users you license key...

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Another thought is that the camera just failed. I go into each camera, independently, and assign it an address then reserve that address in my router. Never had one change, yet anyway.

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys...just out of curiosity, is there any significant benefit of using the router to reserve the IP addresses, versus just setting static IP addresses on the cameras themselves (this is what I do). Just want to understand if there's any real advantage/disadvantage one method vs the other.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Guys...just out of curiosity, is there any significant benefit of using the router to reserve the IP addresses, versus just setting static IP addresses on the cameras themselves (this is what I do). Just want to understand if there's any real advantage/disadvantage one method vs the other.
There is a benefit to setting the cameras to static, in that if you get a new router or reset it, you dont have to do this all over again...
but you must also set it outside the range of dhcp, or the router may assign that address to something else when the camera is offline...this requires the user to in some cases modify the dhcp range and understand where the ip range ends...so it simpler to tell folks to reserve it...

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman...I get it! Is funny (and timely) that you mention getting a new router because just today I decided to bite the bullet and get a new modem and a new router as I am sick and tired of this crappy Comcast "Business Class" modem/router combo that I've been saddled with for several years. Kind of nervous about the whole process, but ready to dive in with both feet! ;)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman...I get it! Is funny (and timely) that you mention getting a new router because just today I decided to bite the bullet and get a new modem and a new router as I am sick and tired of this crappy Comcast "Business Class" modem/router combo that I've been saddled with for several years. Kind of nervous about the whole process, but ready to dive in with both feet! ;)
You will be much happier with your own gear