Camera considerations

Reaction score
Ok, I am new and have been looking over a few posts and the wiki. So here is my question. Should I have both a dedicated night/day camera. Currently I have 2 8mp cameras with a third waiting on cooler weather to run the network cable in the attic(Florida). I'm thinking of adding 2mp for night time? Is that about right? It was mentioned that 8mp cameras are not the best for night capture. Not that it won't do the job, but rather better image quality. Thanks for any feedback.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The current "best" camera for day and night is the Dahua 5442 series. Hikvision has a similar series of cameras but I don't use Hik so I can't cite a model for you. They use a 1/1.8 sensor which is very effective both day and night. With minimal ambient light, they can maintain color video at night.

Reaction score
I'm still fine tuning them. The cameras I have are Amcrest IP8M-T2499EW. There are so many settings, but I will get it i'm sure. I am using BI.

Reaction score
Those cams are 8MP on a 1/2.5" sensor and an F1.6 aperture shutter. The low light color performance will not be very good.

The Dahua 5442 series are 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor which gives the best low light color performance in the current prosumer grades of cams.

As to your question on dedicated day/night cams, I take it you are asking if you should have one cam for day and one for night with the same view/position? The answer would be 'no', just use one 5442.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I went through the same learning experience as you have, jagfandaddy. I was lucky and only bought one Reolink before I found out how really low end they are.

Reaction score
I went through the same learning experience as you have, jagfandaddy. I was lucky and only bought one Reolink before I found out how really low end they are.
Just the answer I was looking for. Thanks! I do like the quality during the day. I have a lot to learn. BI is very powerful and even as a beginner I like this program