Camera Bitrate

steve1978

n3wb
Reaction score
Capture.PNG

Hello,

I am new to the camera stuff, still in my first week.

I was filling looking at some of your camera configurations and i noticed that you all seem to have cameras with bitrates in the thousands. My cameras bit rates are around 150 each (3 in total)

My question is, is the bitrate important? if so is it determined by the camera? software or network connection? how can i improve the bitrate?

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your bitrate is normal for a 1MP camera operating at about 5fps....my Logitech Alert (cheap-o camera) uses about 160kb/s. Higher MPs and fps will demand a higher bitrate otherwise you'll keep losing signal, either configurable in your camera software or not if it's a cheap-o camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 11848

Hello,

I am new to the camera stuff, still in my first week.

I was filling looking at some of your camera configurations and i noticed that you all seem to have cameras with bitrates in the thousands. My cameras bit rates are around 150 each (3 in total)

My question is, is the bitrate important? if so is it determined by the camera? software or network connection? how can i improve the bitrate?
you are confusing kilobits with kilobytes https://help.slingshot.co.nz/Broadband/44702904/What-is-the-difference-between-Kilobits-and-Kilobytes.htm

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, I'm still trying to process it all. I'm sure its must easier to understand and use once i have some experience but right now its still pretty foreign.

steve1978

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I would love to say it all makes sense but it doesn't, what I have noticed is the video footage playback isn't very smooth, I would like to make it smoother. When using the free provided crappy software it's smooth and a higher quality when using blue iris it's like watching a to show from 1920!

any tips would be much appreciated.

they are currently running wireless but I've ordered some long Ethernet cables hoping it improves things!

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
you need to provide more information about your cameras and how you have them set up in BI...

nm, just noticed your sig: 3 x iiGeek IP Cameras

'ieGeek', maybe?

"video footage playback isn't very smooth,"

how are you viewing it? in BI's console? in BI's web UI? on your phone?

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I would love to say it all makes sense but it doesn't, what I have noticed is the video footage playback isn't very smooth, I would like to make it smoother. When using the free provided crappy software it's smooth and a higher quality when using blue iris it's like watching a to show from 1920!

any tips would be much appreciated.

they are currently running wireless but I've ordered some long Ethernet cables hoping it improves things!
You likely have the cameras improperly configured. Post a screenshot of your blue iris video>configuration tab.
Not that a common mistake is changing the camera number in that tab which will bring up the substream. Make sure it says cam 1.
Also post an image of the cameras video settings from the cams own interface.