Camera advice

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Please don't make an inaccurate fleeting statement like that again. ONVIF isn't created equal and ONVIF isn't like USB. It's an often badly implemented standard. Hikvision's implementation of ONVIF is shocking and they are the biggest.

OP, if you want to spend more money then DS-2CD2142FWD-IW is reliable but the range is short. (plus I loathe recommending Hikvision anymore).
Sheesh.... Did you have a bad experience with a Hickvision ONVIF camera not working with blue iris or something?

OP, like I said and straight from the blue Iris website, any ONVIF camera should work with blue iris. And if not, from what i understand the support is good or just return the POS camera to Amazon. I don't have blue iris thou, but i did get my shitty sricam to connect to it when i had the trial.
Screenshot_20170511-055656.png

Blue Iris - Video Security Software - Cameras

Last edited:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
any ONVIF camera should work with blue iris.
OP is a newb and you are giving out stupid advice. I'm trying to be helpful - not just defend face.

You don't even truly know or understand what ONVIF is. You don't have Blue Iris. But you still feel you need to defend a comment which was WRONG.

Maybe you should have copied this from the website? Key bit - almost. Key bit of your quote - should i.e. you don't have a clue.

"SUPPORT ONVIF PROTOCOL AND ALMOST ALL CAMERAS"

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
"SUPPORT ONVIF PROTOCOL AND ALMOST ALL CAMERAS"[/QUOTE]

This is one reason I'm looking at a different brand if I buy more cameras. While most things work on my sricam sp019 the Presets and two way audio don't work.

This is one of the major reasons I was curious about duhua cameras compatibility. But this is assuming that it doesn't make a difference if they are wifi or wired, 4 megapixel or 1. But based on them all being current generation and onvif compatible (which appears isn't exactly a perfect standard).

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
. I've got one cheap Camera I would suggest and plan to buy more of, but its not wifi therefore won't work for you.
Still curious about the camera choice (although I'm reluctant without using them in blue iris) seeing I'm reassessing if I can get off my arse, dig a trench, run a cable, find where to enter the house and create an Ethernet wall plate near the router. I could go the "lazy" route and run unsightly wires however ha ha.

Regards wifi I'm not yet convinced as I'm still curious why it's so frowned upon in a low risk space and if it's only because of temporary drop-outs

Edit: I'll research elsewhere about hiw bad wifi is for cameras seeing this isn't bi specific.

Last edited:

Pete_Repeat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wifi is ok for one or two HD cameras max. I personally wouldn't run wifi over 2MP.

I hate powerline, but I do have one wifi and one powerline camera. The wifi one is more reliable but the powerline one wouldn't be able to do wifi as it's too far away.

Please don't make an inaccurate fleeting statement like that again. ONVIF isn't created equal and ONVIF isn't like USB. It's an often badly implemented standard. Hikvision's implementation of ONVIF is shocking and they are the biggest.

OP, if you want to spend more money then DS-2CD2142FWD-IW is reliable but the range is short. (plus I loathe recommending Hikvision anymore).
Thanks. Very Helpful.

Is there a reason why you don't loathe that particular camera though? Is it because it's one of the few fully compatible cameras?

My wifi router (netgear D7) is only about 20m away and one single wall. Current camera is ok on wifi so far.