calculating network bandwidth

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey All, I am just trying to get some basic understanding, so here is a possible configuration scenario I am working towards.

I have a 8 port POE 1gig switch. I plan to have 7 dahua varifocal starlights connected to it. The 8th port will go to another switch where I have a synology NAS and I will have an i5 desktop running blue iris connected to it.

My basic understanding is that all cameras will send the video to blue iris, which, in turn will process the video feed and send to the synology NAS for writing.

Question: how much network traffic does the Dahua camera creates, assuming it is sending a real time feed?

What ever that value is, it will be multiplied by 7 for Blue Iris to process. Blue Iris will then write that video stream to the NAS. Given each camera only has a 100mbps port, with 7, even a maximum load, it would 700mbps, I am still under 1gig network speed. The concerns comes to mind is what if I was to add 11 cameras (replace 8 port switch with a 16), will I exceed my 1gig network limit?

Is my thinking incorrect? seeking advice and feedback.

Reaction score
No issues. It would take a silly number of cameras to approach the 1 gigabit limit, you will not be near that limit. Hook it all up and then in Blue Iris go to "Status" (the 3 bars) and select "Cameras" tab, you can see the bitrates based on your current frame an i-frame settings. As an example, I'm currently showing 400 KB (bytes) per second, 1Gb connection would approach 980Mb/s effective or approx 120MB (bytes) per second... see the difference?

The cameras may have 100Mbit ethernet ports, but even at 60 FPS you wont saturate that port, let alone would that (multiplied by 7) approach saturation point on a gigabit port.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
FWIW, I have 9 1080p Dahua starlights connected to Blue Iris. All are using h.265 and the maximum bitrate allowed by each camera. Most are VBR but a couple are CBR. Windows Task Manager shows the Ethernet bandwidth averaging about 17Mbps, or 1.7% of GigE's capacity.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
awesome !!!! thanks guys. greatly appreciate this feedback. ok, so a follow up question - heh heh..you knew that was coming...

I had originally thought to put two network cards in the PC that will run Blue Iris. One network card will handle incoming video traffic for BI to process then outgoing network traffic for BI to write to the NAS device.

but....when using @Mr_D example, if you are seeing 17Mbps, and multiply by 2 (two way traffic) so at approx 34Gbps, one card should be plentiful with no bottleneck, right ?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
awesome !!!! thanks guys. greatly appreciate this feedback. ok, so a follow up question - heh heh..you knew that was coming...

I had originally thought to put two network cards in the PC that will run Blue Iris. One network card will handle incoming video traffic for BI to process then outgoing network traffic for BI to write to the NAS device.

but....when using @Mr_D example, if you are seeing 17Mbps, and multiply by 2 (two way traffic) so at approx 34Gbps, one card should be plentiful with no bottleneck, right ?
34 Mbps, but yeah, still no sweat for GigE.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Two NIC are not needed for speed, but maybe used for security. It isolates the cameras from the internet.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
WooHoo !!! thanks again @Mr_D for this info. Per @SouthernYankee I just may install the 2nd one for internet isolation. I do have a 2nd NIC currently not in use

Last edited: