Cabling: Tools rough draft #1. Opinions/Suggestions desired.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Another thing I'd add is a DiversaBit, 48" and 60", 3/8" and 1/2". Not for those that aren't confident with their drill use and really handy for those that are. No guess work about where to drill and, with the hole in both ends, they make a great way to get a pull string in place. I don't install for a living, but still have an assortment of bell hanger bits, 12", 18: and 24" plus a couple of DiversaBits. Makes getting wire in really easy.

My trick for long runs in ceilings or under raised floors is a sling shot with a spin cast reel attached. I've gone as far as 100 feet on a single launch. Just don't have anyone in the area your firing toward, make them stay out and listen for it to land.

I like the split rings, especially for residential work. Not a big wire load in them and they're quick to install and quick to get another wire into or out of.

Reaction score
That's a good start at a list.

Something simple - tennis ball for drop ceilings. Poke a hole through it. Tie your pull string. Toss and go. With two guys tossing to each other you can knock out a long run in no time. Much easier than sticks for that.
in a business environment with drop ceilings, my goto method is a gopher pole. The $250 tool which has 6 sections of 4' pieces that extend out. We have tried to more economical gopher poles but they are too flimsy or too bendy, break too often, unreliable. The gopher pole I have is over 10 years old. Great for professional installers. Un-needed for residential as a 3/4" PVC pipe would be more suitable.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Is a drywall/jabsaw missing from this list? Amazon.com : sheet rock saw
Check (as in mark)... on the list :thumb:

Drywall knife/jab saw. You will be using this tool to cut into drywall for your faceplate brackets or to make access holes you later patch up. Never used a folding jab saw before. I really jab my saw into drywall (sometimes, double ¾” thick). Wouldn’t want the thing to collapse on my fingers :) But for standard household DIY, should be ok.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Yea...I tried to think of all the hand tools I bring with me inside of a location to get the job done from start to finish. There is a difference between residential and business though. In a business setting, gotta bring little vacuum cleaner to clean up the drywall dust. At home, can just use a broom or use household vacuum. Though I tend to tape a piece of paper underneath where I am cutting so sometimes do not even need a vacuum.
6' or 8' ladder in a business setting because 95% have drop ceiling tiles. Is not the case for home but will need ladder to get up into attic.
At work, 50% of the time there are 2 or even 3 techs to run wire. At home, I imagine it will be just 1 person doing it all.
At work, 80% of the time we are dealing with non-capped walls with metal studs. At home, every wall is capped and is constructed with 2x4 wood.

So yea...there are differences between a business and residential. But the end game is the same: to run wire from 1 spot over to another spot.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
For a "guide" I don't think getting into clean-up is that important. We have to assume that the homeowner is doing the work and will use some common sense in that regard. We always used a shop vac and left things cleaner than when we arrived, commercial or residential. Heck, back in the good old day when I did alarms and window foil was "the thing" even the windows got cleaned.

I think if you add some testers, basic cheap continuity, mid-level PoE/toner and higher end with basic TDR as well it'll be a wrap. You covered all the key points already, the rest is salad dressing.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I thought of one more, indispensable, thing to keep in a wiring tool kit...a simple wire coat hanger. They can be bent and used to look for a fish tape or a push rod in a wall cavity. If you're creative with them you can sort of fish around corners and tight into corners where there's a stud or other obstruction. If you don't have a wire coat hanger handy, any piece of moderately stiff, strong, wire will work, or even a short piece of fish tape.

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another great thread.
Here's a couple of tricks.
wire coat hangers are great. need to drill an exploratory hole in sheet rock, say going up through the ceiling or through two walls? Cut the straight long portion of the hanger with wire cutters at an angle and use that as your drill bit. small hole and good reach.

Want to get a string though a conduit, tie a tissue of something lightweight on the end and use a vacuum cleaner on the other end to pull the string through.

Old unusable disk drives have really strong magnets in them. just open them up and dig them out. these will allow you to make your own magna pull. put one on the string and the other on the outside of the sheet rock. Using this method, you can pull a string (then wire) down an insulated wall by keeping the string against the wall

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
After tools is techniques which is probably best in it's own thread?...
Might have a cable already in place that has enough slack to bring in additional wire(s). More often... I have disco'd an existing low voltage wire, attach a string and pull the existing cable back. Then attach additional network cable(s), and pull the old & new back in

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Might have a cable already in place that has enough slack to bring in additional wire(s). More often... I have disco'd an existing low voltage wire, attach a string and pull the existing cable back. Then attach additional network cable(s), and pull the old & new back in
So nice to find that somebody left a pull string where you really need one. I always tried to leave one for the next guy when I had a difficult place to pull through.

Reaction score
Hmmm... the next chapter? I was leaning towards parts, supplies such as faceplates, jacks, patch panels, RJ45 modular plugs, patch cords, on-the-wall vs 2 post racks vs wall cabinets, cat5e vs cat6, indoor PVC vs plenum vs outdoor rated vs lighting protection. Remember, this is all rough draft. In the end, polishing will be required so that someone really new to cabling their house can follow & understand. With pretty pictures :) And then be placed in the IPCT Wiki page (upon approval by the powers that be...fenderman or mike? I'm not sure).

Reaction score
Another thing I'd add is a DiversaBit, 48" and 60", 3/8" and 1/2". Not for those that aren't confident with their drill use and really handy for those that are. No guess work about where to drill and, with the hole in both ends, they make a great way to get a pull string in place. I don't install for a living, but still have an assortment of bell hanger bits, 12", 18: and 24" plus a couple of DiversaBits. Makes getting wire in really easy.

My trick for long runs in ceilings or under raised floors is a sling shot with a spin cast reel attached. I've gone as far as 100 feet on a single launch. Just don't have anyone in the area your firing toward, make them stay out and listen for it to land.

I like the split rings, especially for residential work. Not a big wire load in them and they're quick to install and quick to get another wire into or out of.
ah yes....DiveraBit. That should actually be #3 most important tools for house cabling. Can't pull cable with making holes in wood. And you can't do that without a good long auger bit.

Sammyf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe quite obvious, but I’d add saw and/or pipe cutter (for cutting conduits) and a phone. Phone (despite not really being a tool) is handy for taking photos (to see to awkward positions or as a note where the cable runs), checking notes (like wiring order for connectors) and possibly for calling help in case of an accident.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^^^ Too well dressed, too clean and too squared away and good lookin' to be all that competent, IMO.
Just kiddin'.......I don't judge books by their covers. :lol:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I learned very early in life how to "fake" a coil. It only takes a few seconds to do when coiling and sves a lot of frustration and cussing when you uncoil it again. Still do that today, rope, wire, cable or whatever.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I learned very early in life how to "fake" a coil. It only takes a few seconds to do when coiling and sves a lot of frustration and cussing when you uncoil it again. Still do that today, rope, wire, cable or whatever.
I do the same with my cords. It still amazes though how many folks, if I'm not around to mention it, struggle when they uncoil from the WRONG end! A light bulb never goes off to suggest to them to try the other end. :winktongue:

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Or forget all that stuff and get one of these:
That photo seems only a wee bit less cringy worthy than this one. For those not familiar with soldering... she is holding the soldering iron by a component of the iron that reaches quite a high temperature. The brown band is were this iron should be held, so as not to incur 3rd degree burns

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
That photo seems only a wee bit less cringy worthy than this one. For those not familiar with soldering... she is holding the soldering iron by a component of the iron that reaches quite a high temperature. The brown band is were this iron should be held, so as not to incur 3rd degree burns

But, but, isn’t that how the phrase She’s so hot came from?!?

One tool none of you listed was a cable stretcher?!?