Cabling: Tools rough draft #1. Opinions/Suggestions desired.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I just stabbed my self with mine,,, racing nightfall to get an LPR wired before the rain and dark hit...lol.....I havent used it in quite a few years.. was punching a jack by holding it on the table, with taped fingers full of stitches....bam! right in the side of the finger thats healing...mother of fuck!

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Not to slight the injuries of anyone... but I must confess that sometimes it seems worser-er-er when you fail to notice the cut side of the tool is not on the correct side.

clunk... FFFAAACCCCKKKK!!

Of course, it seldom happens when there is an abundance of cable available... nor when the conditions are not miserable.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Been there, done that......Yes trying to get 1 inch or 1/2 inch on a patch panel is all you need to fix the mistake, but it's hard some times wiggle everything around to get that little bit of extra....especially if you dressed in the bulk of the cabling already and it's looking nice and neat...:banghead:

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Small error correction suggestion:

But sometimes, you want to poke the Cat6 cable straight out a wall or through a cement wall with a ⅛” drill bit instead of the needed ½” hole for wire+plug end.
Er, that would be at least a 1/4" hole (or really 5/16" to make it easily) for any Cat6 cable, not 1/8". Even with an end on it, it generally needs more than a 1/2" hole, 9/16" minimum.
Minor quibbles, otherwise awesome work putting this together, really well done.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As I learned later.....This particular female wall plate jack only needed mild pressure to push it home and it cut the end without That loud click/bam pressure.....must be slightly different design than i used to use years ago....maybe they got better?
But Wounded warrior Johnny put that mother in the Vise and worked the final 7 wires in watching carefully to keep his G$#!D^3@! fingers outta the way...