cable protection, lack of...

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Slightly off topic here, but the concept applies to network cabling as well as this case - SAT TV (CATV) cabling. In our area, chewing critters are not only a nuisance, but a danger. They'll gnaw through any cable, whether Cat5, RG6, or Romex. I've found power circuit feeders completely chewed through by rats. How they don't get electrocuted chewing on 120/240 mains circuits is beyond me.
Most often, it's LV stuff I see damaged from gnawing rodents. Such as this case, where client called, said his SAT TV signal was flaky, mostly out. He called the SAT TV provider, who told him to check the dish for obstructions, and power cycle the receiver (none of which helped). Client thought maybe dish alignment was out, so could I come check it out?. Didn't take much troubleshooting to find the cause of this problem... was expecting lightning damage, water compromised connectors & such.. nope, this one was easy.
Only thing I have not seen chewed is the high voltage feed cables on electric fences.... SO FAR.

Attachments

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Yikes! A lot of people near us have had their under the hood wiring chewed up and fixing that can get really expensive. In our barn, some of the exposed romex got chewed down to the copper but I never found any fried critters. Our Internet service is via a wireless connection and the installer didn't use outdoor rated cat5. A few years ago I found the brittle outer jacket falling off. Trying a hack, I coated the exposed twisted pairs with liquid electrical tape, followed by adding a split-loom outer jacket. The hack is still working after a bunch of years.

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yikes! {....] I coated the exposed twisted pairs with liquid electrical tape, followed by adding a split-loom outer jacket. The hack is still working after a bunch of years.
Same client with the shredded RG6 in the photo also lost his WISP service. I went to investigate, found the WISP 5 GHz POE antenna on the deck post was fed with exterior grade Cat5E LAN, but it was completely unprotected running under the deck, and up the wall, to where it entered the home. Checking LAN cable continuity, I found problems. Good at the antenna end, so backtracking towards the house meant crawling under the low deck (about 2ft off ground), through thick piles of leaves. This was not exactly what I wanted to do.. this was same steep mtn property with rattlesnakes I'd encountered before. Swallowed my pride, got a rake, and crawled under the deck - very cautiously. Luckily no cylindrical creatures found this time. But, did find a spot in the LAN cable, clearly chewed. Don't think the gnawed part was severe enough to cause problems until it rained, heavily. Followed by severe thunder storms. Surmising the water soaked cable took a hit (the WISP did not use Cat5 surge arrestors), resulting in a charcoal looking mess of cable. Replaced cable, buried it, and sleeved the exposed parts. No more problems after that. For whatever reason, that particular mountainous area was absolutely saturated in gnawing rodents of various sorts. I spent years in a half mile span just repairing and preventing future rodent damage for multiple clients. Many homes were summer vacation homes, and those were the worst. When the owners are away, the rodents come out to play - and GNAW away at everything. It's amazing how much fewer problems I had with rodents with people who had cats or dogs (or both!). It makes a BIG difference.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Oldtechguy66 "sleeved the exposed parts." ? What do you use? Should one just cover any exposed cable with a basic plastic or metal electrical conduit?
Some tiny critters got to my CAT5 which was technically not, visibly "Exposed" outside but run under the deck between the framing and a closed in under-ceiling.

Why do manufacturers make wire casing so darned tasty?!

1710519670881.png

Oldtechguy66

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Oldtechguy66 "sleeved the exposed parts." ? What do you use? Should one just cover any exposed cable with a basic plastic or metal electrical conduit?
Some tiny critters got to my CAT5 which was technically not, visibly "Exposed" outside but run under the deck between the framing and a closed in under-ceiling...
Depends on circumstances. In some areas where I worked, gnawing rodents were a serious problem. Any exterior cabling exposed had a lifespan of weeks, months at best. Had to run in conduit as much as possible. Even exterior grade LAN cable such as Ubiquit "Tough Cable" is fair game for the sharp-toothed rodents - though if you used the cable, you'd know how it acquired its name. Tough, but not tougher than rat and squirrel teeth.
Sometimes I used electrical PVC conduit, sometimes "raintite" (PVC flex), sometimes EMT (interior or sheltered locations) or other types conduits. Even direct burial cables such as gel filled Telco and coax (Sat tv) are not safe from chewing critters, even though underground. I've run RG6 underground to antennas using sch40 black poly pipe, even though the cable was rated direct burial. In cases where there is existing exterior cabling (say, attached to exterior of the house), then your options are more limited. Split loom or wire mould cover sleeves are some of the few options, unless you can disconnect the cabling and feed it through traditional electrical conduit. I have seen rats chew on PVC conduit, but so far have not had them chew through it. But exposed wiring - it's an open sign advertising chew here! Some areas I never seen rodent damage to cabling, but most there is some - and a few areas, it's guaranteed. When I say "exposed", I mean any cable that is NOT sleeved, housed in conduit, or otherwise in a position or location making it impossible or very unlikely to be accessible to rodents. Crawl spaces, attics, under decks, or anywhere rodents can get to the cable is "exposed". You'd think a basement or crawl space not technically exposed, but cannot recall how many times I have seen mains (line voltage) wiring chewed through, thermostat wiring, cable tv, telco, or any wiring chewed on. Mice seem particulary interested in the foam insualtion sleeves on heat pump refrigerant line sets. Something about it must really be tasty, becuase I often see piles of it shredded.