Cable off Amazon

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know what this cable is like?

It's supposed to be 23 awg solid copper.

It's an unscreened cable but there is a screened version:

Bear in mind I'm in the UK so don't have access to US stores / brands.

Also probably being a bit thick here but does the switch need to support Cat 6 or is the RJ45 wiring standardised so any Cat of cable goes into any RJ45 port with compatability?

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cheap cable is the worst thing you can use. no need to buy cat 6 for IP cameras. Cat 5 e is perfectly fine. most importantly, make sure it is 100% solid copper

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score

All can be used without ANY problems with these connectors:

you dont need awg23 , can use awg24 without any problems.

remember:

"cheap" real waterproof (gel filled or with film) cable is non existent in EUROPE. this is because the stuff they sell in US does not match our standards for fire safety.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the links but atm budget and the fact I only 1 camera means buying a 1000ft reel isn't possible or necessary. 50-100 foot should more than cover it. Know anywhere that sells shorter lengths?

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Just buy Cat5e 24awg or maybe awg23.
I would suggest unshielded because the isolation of the wires itself tends to be thinner on UTP, so it should be possible to install a plug on.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Does this look good stuff:

Never heard of Connectix but based in the UK. Seem to be the distributor or manufacturer of the cable. Retailer is cablemonkey.
That’s exactly the same cable that I’ve used to do all the wiring in my house and for my cams. Although it’s external grade I’ve used the same cable for all internal runs as well with no issues.

Opted for Cat5e as I personally didn’t see the benefit of going for cat6 and cat6 is much stiffer so slightly more difficult to run.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks Tea Leaf. Think I'm going to go with this one in Cat5e as Cat6 is almost double the price.

Thanks to veryone else with the other suggestions. Appreciated.

Last edited: