Buying a new house.....

CBagz

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking at the Starlight 5231R-Z or ZE, reading about how impressive these cameras are in low light is one of the important features. But do I really need the low light capabilities if I have a street light half way up my driveway?

BB43B0DD-1E34-46BD-9595-AF280ACCB29E.jpeg

Looking at adding a camera under the porch to the right of the window and another one not left sid of the garage. But a you can see the street light could potentially be a hinderence. There is also another street light as evidenced by the red circle across the street. The light across the street is roughly 120’ from the garage door.

4FDEB19F-BC27-4785-A910-96F28E2572E1.jpeg

The rear of the house will be addressed but right now the front of the house will be the focus.

Thanks in advance.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Is that a police car next door? In my experience I would get the starlight camera. I have good street lighting around my house and yes the starlight makes a difference.

CBagz

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes that is a police car next door and beside that house is another police officer.
Another thing I’m going to install that i really liked at my old house was motion activated porch lights. Those came in real handy when I would pull up to the house and the porch lights would come on giving me light to see to get my keys out and find the right key. Thinking of adding those on the garage and I cant remember if there is one by the front door or not.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
With all those streetlights, you might be able to a good nighttime view in color with only a starlight camera which most of us can only dream of doing.

DuncanMcDonuts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have good street lighting in front of my house along with my porch lights. I keep my front yard cameras in color mode all the time. Even though the IR is great, the low light capability helps the color mode at night. The side and backyard cameras switch automatically to IR.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm "out in the sticks" and the nearest street lights are at least 400 feet away. Even with that I can "force" color video from a 5213R-Z. It's OK but is better with auxiliary IR lighting in my case. You may be able to get away without any IR with that one being so close. Only way to tell is try it out.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looking at the Starlight 5231R-Z or ZE, reading about how impressive these cameras are in low light is one of the important features. But do I really need the low light capabilities if I have a street light half way up my driveway?

View attachment 27691

Looking at adding a camera under the porch to the right of the window and another one not left sid of the garage. But a you can see the street light could potentially be a hinderence. There is also another street light as evidenced by the red circle across the street. The light across the street is roughly 120’ from the garage door.

View attachment 27692

The rear of the house will be addressed but right now the front of the house will be the focus.

Thanks in advance.
Answer is a definite yes.