Buyer Beware: Fake Optical Zoom Modules

PTZ Freak

n3wb
Reaction score

Hey guys, these fakes are floating around on Aliexpress. They come as either a stand-alone module, a module on pan-tilt bracket or pre-installed in a speed dome. They claim to be 60x optical (3.5 - 210mm lens) plus 10x digital....In reality, I believe the optical is only a 36x ( 3.5 - 126mm lens) whose firmware has been altered to display twice the actual zoom on screen (that is, when you actually zoom to 10x, it will display 20x on the screen; actually zoom to 20x, it will display 40x on screen; Actually zoom to 36x, it will say 72x on screen). Once you zoom past that displayed 72x level, you no longer hear the zoom motor running when additional zoom is applied suggesting that it's all digital zoom at that point...and the viewing area at that so-called 72x level when the optical motor stops, is almost identical to another camera I have with a 129mm lens using the same 1/2.8" sensor size....

Since using a comparable sensor size tells me the actual zoom is somewhere close to 129mm, the fact that a camera module that looks identical to these sells at a cheaper price with specs of 36x /126mm, and the zoom motor on these actually stops at displayed 72x (exactly 36x times 2), it strongly leads me to believe that they've purchased the original 36x and simply altered the firmware to display twice the actual zoom level. Very sneaky! And probably not obvious to the average user as a 4k sensor can handle a significant amount of digital zoom before the image quality becomes noticeably degraded.

It's really a shame, because there's a lot of other features on this module that I really like. Image quality, color, dynamic range, etc. all look really good. Web interface is a little buggy using the plug-in on older browsers, but works better using HTML 5 without the plugin on newer browsers. The human detection, vehicle detection etc. all seem to work well. So I'm not trying to discourage anyone from using this kind of module; Just advising that if you do, save the extra money by buying the 36x as you're not getting anything extra for the 60x optical/600x digital version; It's the same exact thing except a digitally-altered on-screen display.

PTZ Freak

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a link to the correct firmware to display 36x/360x if i bought one already?
If you're still in the dispute time range, you should file one. They were willing to give me a $35 discount to keep mine.

For the firmware, I'm not exactly sure. I reached out to a company "Esunstar" that sells a 36x version of this cam and they sent me the attached firmware, but I've been too nervous to try it since I have no backups of the original. The seller would not send the "60x" firmware and I'm still unable to crack the password hash for telnet or get into the cam through a serial port. So it's a try at your own risk gamble. If you do decide to take the risk, please let me know how it works. I would especially recommend saving some images at about 75x zoom on the original and see how it compares to 36x after to make sure no effective zoom is being lost. Without knowing how or where in the system they've hacked it, it's no telling how it will react to a different firmware.

Attachments

PTZ Freak

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the firmware you sent. I can confirm it to work.
Here are some screenshots.
Very welcome. Good to know it works! Are you able to confirm that no zoom has been lost? That is, your current 36x is equal to 72x before as far as what's in view? My biggest concern on upgrading was if the hack was somewhere outside of what the firmware updates and you end up cutting your actual zoom in half (if that 36x displayed still only zooms your lens half way and you're then blocked from accessing the farther half of it's available zoom range)

BPoHVoodoo

n3wb
Reaction score
Does it still have the 10X digital zoom?
No, or it has to be enabled and i didn't find where. But this is ok for me!
JM800S_AF_V3-A_YSSD-RTMP-DH-H5 V3.2.1.2 build 2023-01-05 17:59:03
This one has even the 10x digital Zoom. But I don't have the firmware. I wrote to ESUNSTAR/YUCHENG but still got no answer.

Last edited:

PTZ Freak

n3wb
Reaction score
I found something. Yucheng/ESUNSTAR seems to have updated their support site.
More soon.
Interesting! looks like a 30x/300 and a 36x/360 version. I downloaded these but looks like they're password protected now. I just sent an email to the guy that sent me the last firmware asking for this password. Will let you know if I get a response.

I'm hoping they have (or will) fix the 3d positioning. Usually with this feature, when you draw a box over an area, it will pan/tilt to center on that position and then optically zoom in. Much easier to navigate to a spot of interest. For this camera with past firmware, it seems to just digitally magnify that part of the screen.

PTZ Freak

n3wb
Reaction score
That's odd. Have you noticed any other changes? I just used binwalk to extract what files from the firmware that I could and have yet to find anything different. I've found a number of edits I could make to improve the cam if I had either 1. A way of repacking the firmware...or 2. Some way of accessing the camera's internal flash memory. Every attempt I've tried at either has failed.

seccamusr1

n3wb
Reaction score
Are there any firmware releases WITHOUT that digital zoom?! My camera works fine until the digital zoom starts, then when I zoom out the digital zoom stays zoomed in when zooming back out. The motorized lens actually functions once the zoom multiplier gets to and goes below 36x. These cameras BADLY need an option to turn that off. Anyone can digitally zoom a paused recording or a snapshot, and AgentDVR can do it in a much better way by simply scrolling which makes this a bug, not a feature... and a major one at that when I have to restart the camera every time someone zooms in past 36x.
The current release is titled 'How upgrade Danale app to videolink for JM800S'

I'm running the latest available firmware, and while there are a few improvements the zoom/optical zoom not reducing is a MAJOR bug in both the factory firmware and the latest update. This firmware is untested to such an extreme degree that when you disable AutoFocus it still tries to adjust the focus but does a awful job making everything blurry, and it also disables the PELCO-D PTZ functions! Srsly, did you devs have your heads shoved up... -- nevermind.

The image quality on these little modules, at least compared to the cheap cameras I'm used to, is really quite good! The clarity of the night vision is where it really makes the $30 amazon specials seem ineffective and weak.
I'd like to get a couple more with the PTZ bracket, but I need to find a decent waterproof housing. If anyone here has found a relatively cheap one (not $3500 and explosion proof... :lol:) please let me know where I can buy it too please!

If the developers would simply test the web UI for 5 minutes they would be able to find quite a few bugs right off. I must give them credit for actually releasing updates though, and since the last was fairly recent and did indeed fix 2 bugs that I know of I do have some hope that the rest could be fixed at some point.

Last edited:

PTZ Freak

n3wb
Reaction score
Are there any firmware releases WITHOUT that digital zoom?! My camera works fine until the digital zoom starts, then when I zoom out the digital zoom stays zoomed in when zooming back out. The motorized lens actually functions once the zoom multiplier gets to and goes below 36x. These cameras BADLY need an option to turn that off. Anyone can digitally zoom a paused recording or a snapshot, and AgentDVR can do it in a much better way by simply scrolling which makes this a bug, not a feature... and a major one at that when I have to restart the camera every time someone zooms in past 36x.
The current release is titled 'How upgrade Danale app to videolink for JM800S'

I'm running the latest available firmware, and while there are a few improvements the zoom/optical zoom not reducing is a MAJOR bug in both the factory firmware and the latest update. This firmware is untested to such an extreme degree that when you disable AutoFocus it still tries to adjust the focus but does a awful job making everything blurry, and it also disables the PELCO-D PTZ functions! Srsly, did you devs have your heads shoved up... -- nevermind.

The image quality on these little modules, at least compared to the cheap cameras I'm used to, is really quite good! The clarity of the night vision is where it really makes the $30 amazon specials seem ineffective and weak.
I'd like to get a couple more with the PTZ bracket, but I need to find a decent waterproof housing. If anyone here has found a relatively cheap one (not $3500 and explosion proof... :lol:) please let me know where I can buy it too please!

If the developers would simply test the web UI for 5 minutes they would be able to find quite a few bugs right off. I must give them credit for actually releasing updates though, and since the last was fairly recent and did indeed fix 2 bugs that I know of I do have some hope that the rest could be fixed at some point.

This helped me. Basically, on the AJDevTools you double click the camera to show the video. Then right-click on the video, go to the zoom and set it to "1"...That made mine stop at 37x...

I've actually upgraded the lens controller firmware on mine (can't be done through the camera, must use a serial connection on the lens control board on the port near the SD card) and now my zoom stops at 25x (though it's the same physical zoom as the old 36x, just displays 25x instead)...

seccamusr1

n3wb
Reaction score
@PTZ Freak
Yo, MUCH appreciated! I hadn't found that utility, so that should pretty much fix my issues :D

Hey, I have a RS485 PTZ keyboard I got for free a while back. It works when connected directly to the cheap little pan/tilt bracket that came with the camera, but I was wondering if there is any way to use the other serial port so as to retain control over IP and give me the ability to twist the stick to control zoom and stuff? I have the pinout from another thread, but I don't know if the installed system is configured to allow that. I'd guess it would have to be configured as root user (which I assume is locked down) at the very least, if that sort of configuration is even possible without a prohibitive amount of work.

edit**
So I did try that, but all it gives me for zoom options are +, -, and stop. Are you sure it was there?

Last edited:

PTZ Freak

n3wb
Reaction score
@PTZ Freak

edit**
So I did try that, but all it gives me for zoom options are +, -, and stop. Are you sure it was there?
Did you replace the "display.xml" file in the AJTools installation directory with the one included in the download link? Otherwise, the digital zoom setting is hidden by default. That new display.xml file contains the code "<IDS_DZOOM_MULTIPLE_SET display="1" />" which allows the digital zoom setup menu to be displayed in the software.

seccamusr1

n3wb
Reaction score
@PTZ Freak

Yeah man, you know your stuff! Had the camera sitting on my work table for a few days, but I finally got around to messing with it. Love the focus calibration too as it wouldn't focus when zooming at all after resetting everything. All good now, and somehow at maximum optical zoom it shows 30x now.

Thanks again for the infoZoom-Fixed.png

PTZ Freak

n3wb
Reaction score
@PTZ Freak

Yeah man, you know your stuff! Had the camera sitting on my work table for a few days, but I finally got around to messing with it. Love the focus calibration too as it wouldn't focus when zooming at all after resetting everything. All good now, and somehow at maximum optical zoom it shows 30x now.

Thanks again for the infoView attachment 179674
Nice view you've got there! Glad you've got it working now.

As far as the 30x goes, as long as the physical viewing angle is the same at full zoom, then I would not worry too much about the number it displays as these numbers appear to have little meaning. Mine first said 72x at full zoom, then 36x after a module firmware upgrade, then 25x after a lens control board upgrade. Yet it was the same physical zoom amount in every case. You could try to download the latest 36x module firmware and see if that restores the max value to 36x. But like I say, the displayed value seems to not mean anything in my experience.

zerodegree

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just got that 36x 360 and I have question about PTZ presets. Do you know all the codes? I've got only these below (and that work)

Attachments

tbh

n3wb
Reaction score
Much easier way to turn off digital zoom with just a cgi command typed in a web browser (see photo)yucheng.JPG