Buried Cat5 to front of driveway

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We are doing a landscaping project and the plan calls for a sprinkler zone down to the front of the house where I want to place LPR camera. Distance is about 180 ft -- see pic.

Was thinking it would be nice to run cat5 in the trench where they are putting the sprinkler pipe which would make my job easy. Not sure if that is a good idea having cat5 next to a sprinkler pipe full of water. I would hate to have to dig another trench just for the cat5.

I was planning to do PTP using Unifi Nanostation AC Loco gear (which I have already purchased). There is 120volt power already at the front of the driveway. The problem I am forseeing is that the landscapers are putting trees up front and I'm worried that I may no longer have LOS to the house. That's why I was considering the cat5.

aerial view.jpg

Reaction score
Last year I had our 1700-foot driveway repaved. I had them lay lengths of 1" schedule 80 pvc at various locations so that is I ever need to route power/ethernet under the road, the path was there. Even if there is a failure, I can pull the wire out and replace it. I have caps on the non-used conduits.
We have an "island" with a little fishpond and electric waterfall with colored lights now. We now have power to our pavilion so that we have lights and ceiling fan.
200 feet of Cat 5 will be fine. The waterline should not be an issue. Twisted pairs protect their signal quite well.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would think it would be okay next to the pipe, my main concern is that these sprinkler systems do experience a lot of water hammer and over time the small vibrations could wear down the ethernet.

You definitely need to use direct burial rated cable and I think you should consider using 5e or 6. I know this is just an LPR but next thing you know you want to add a switch and other devices at your front yard - just a thought!

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Last year I had our 1700-foot driveway repaved. I had them lay lengths of 1" schedule 80 pvc at various locations so that is I ever need to route power/ethernet under the road, the path was there. Even if there is a failure, I can pull the wire out and replace it. I have caps on the non-used conduits.
We have an "island" with a little fishpond and electric waterfall with colored lights now. We now have power to our pavilion so that we have lights and ceiling fan.
200 feet of Cat 5 will be fine. The waterline should not be an issue. Twisted pairs protect their signal quite well.
Yeah I'm having to repave my concrete driveway. They want 9$/sft for high PSI concrete with rebar. They cheaped out on the first concrete and its falling apart (was done before I owned the house) Look at that pic and now imagine how much its going to cost me.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

Sounds like I'd be safe to run two cables along the pipe. Maybe do a few inches of dirt between the pipe and cable do avoid vibrations.

I do plan on putting a small switch down at the front driveway for "expansion" = More cameras.
I'd still use direct burial-rated CAT cable for the heavier HDPE outer jacket it has that can better resist rocks, abrasions, cuts, etc. better than a CMR-rated PVC jacket.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I always, always, always, regret running 1 line to a distant or difficult cable pull location.
I just pulled another Directburial cat5e around the house to cover a gap in coverage....Grrrr
Of course im stuffing mine up under the siding and around the J-Channel and Outside Corner siding trim...but still...Grrrr

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I like truecables products.