Burglary?

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
At 4:38 this morning I got a Ring motion notification on my phone and also heard it on the Ring chime while I was deep asleep. I immediately checked my phone, I see some pick up truck in my driveway with a man wearing a headlamp. I grabbed my firearm just in case he tries to enter, keep in mind I just woke up and I'm thinking the worst. I then looked carefully and he was an Amazon driver dropping off a package. I was still worried because I've seen people post to Nextdoor, Ring, Facebook crime groups about perpetrators wearing Amazon uniforms breaking into homes. Turns out it was a legit delivery of an item I had ordered and this man decided to deliver it at 4:30 am! In his defense the traffic in Los Angeles during the day is really bad. I watched the video again and after he gets out of his car he pauses, looks around and then goes to my door to drop off the package which is a little suspicious. Also I have no idea why he had to pull his pick up truck into my driveway.

Please provide any feedback on how I can improve the image quality of my cameras. Thank you!

Reaction score
That's normal for Amazon to deliver at that time. I'm going to say with 99.9% certainty that he did not have any bad intentions. When you checkout with Amazon the overnight delivery was probably one of the options. I've received overnight deliveries from Amazon at 4am.

What cameras are you using? I don't think there's much you're going to be able to do when a light is shining directly into the cameras.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Even though the traffic is better for him I can't say that it's a good idea and frankly, I'd complain to amazon.
No way would I drive up into someone's driveway in LA at 4:30 AM unless it was some kind of an emergency....and package delivery is not considered an emergency, IMO.
He needs to stop and think...regardless of HIS good motives, times have unfortunately changed in many, many ways I'm sad to say. :confused:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I mentioned this in another thread that this mindset alone is why I am surprised Amazon or these workers would agree to 4am delivery. I am surprised we haven't heard of someone shot yet because someone with a quick finger gets careless.

In many instances they are vehicles and people that don't fit the neighborhood...

In regards to the cameras, I think those are all good shots. Once that bright headlamp is on, short of a crazy fast shutter that would be close to LPR duty, not much you can do about that.

1696886950390.png

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I blame Amazon. They think people want delivery at those early hours, but you have to be diligent when ordering to pick another option to avoid them.
As for why he pulled into your driveway, I can think of two:

1. It’s dark. In your driveway, his vehicle’s headlights help him see and avoid hazards.
2. We’ve all seen videos of cars parked in the street being hit by drivers under the influence. He doesn’t make enough to risk that.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
It must be great not to work in shifts. Especially 12 A.M. -8 A.M. when all of the kiddies
are warm and fast asleep. ;)

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Same. I thought a home invasion was occurring at 4:30am when I saw headlights on and a guy walking on the porch with a headlamp.

I'm a "minimum necessary force" sort of personality, so he wasn't in danger, but plenty of folks are "maximum force" personalities.

Just to clarify, "minimum necessary force" doesn't mean I avoid confrontation; it only means I won't be the one to escalate a situation.

Reaction score
Amazon has next day or sometimes same day delivery. I see 4:30am-8:30am as options quite a bit. Sometimes 9:00am-11:00am also. Usually the purchase has to be more than $25 and available in the warehouse close by.

If you don't want these early delivery options, then don't select them. Maybe you did not look closely as to the delivery time selected.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Amazon has next day or sometimes same day delivery. I see 4:30am-8:30am as options quite a bit. Sometimes 9:00am-11:00am also. Usually the purchase has to be more than $25 and available in the warehouse close by.

If you don't want these early delivery options, then don't select them. Maybe you did not look closely as to the delivery time selected.
I have had some "same day" deliveries not make it and they end up delivering them super early the next morning.

I don't care because if I am paying for the service I am going to want my order as quickly as possible, but they also don't usually pull into my driveway. I have seen them pull into other driveways, but this doesn't really bother me (even if it was mine) because I would rather that than have them clogging up the street like they usually do with the bigger vans.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score

One thing to note about the early delivery (4:30am) option is that I've noticed that Amazon automatically defaults to that choice for some products, so if your not careful and don't look closely you can wind up with an early morning visitor.