Bullets or turrets for new cameras?

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
After you read the notes above, look at the ipcamtalk cliff notes for even more detail.

Cliff notes

I am fairly new here but followed the advice and I am very happy, started with a Dahua 2MP starlight varifocal (Empire Tech), played with focal lengths, bought a second cam, then a third, fourth just arrived. I am slowly building my system, one piece at a time and adhering to the recommendations here.

If I could do it all over, I would do the same approach thanks to the guidance I got here. Well, would change one thing, I bought an 8 port POE switch knowing I would never use more than four ports. :slap:

Four cams later the driveway is properly covered, just have to do the rest of the property.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After you read the notes above, look at the ipcamtalk cliff notes for even more detail.

Cliff notes

I am fairly new here but followed the advice and I am very happy, started with a Dahua 2MP starlight varifocal (Empire Tech), played with focal lengths, bought a second cam, then a third, fourth just arrived. I am slowly building my system, one piece at a time and adhering to the recommendations here.

If I could do it all over, I would do the same approach thanks to the guidance I got here. Well, would change one thing, I bought an 8 port POE switch knowing I would never use more than four ports. :slap:
Don't worry, you will find a need to add a camera or 4 LOL.

Maybe LPR or a PTZ LOL.

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i will say go where your wallet says so..

first aim for what kind of camera you want. what sensors are in there and their specs.
Once you found the, they usually comes in Turret/Bullet/Dome.

but if you are flexible.. bullets and dome do exactly the same thing and may go on specials your local retailer if they are clearing stock.

Recently i snagged a few 2231 series 2 vf bullets and domes at $50 a pop.. so thinking of where to put them now..

Also I always buy the mount pfa 130e as it is flexible.. just drill 4 holes.. and bullets/turrets/dome can interchangeable at the same spot.
Thank you! I just wasn’t sure how turrets could adjust and aim, or benefit over bullets. Thats a killer score on those, deals are great

Going to look at mount now, having it installed so if I can interchange cams later that’s great and big plus. I just don’t want to drill/run wires myself.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you! I just wasn’t sure how turrets could adjust and aim, or benefit over bullets. Thats a killer score on those, deals are great

Going to look at mount now, having it installed so if I can interchange cams later that’s great and big plus. I just don’t want to drill/run wires myself.
For simplicity, I find turrets more user friendly to adjust, align, etc.

Drilling running wires is half the fun.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Contact Andy here on IPCT. He can supply Dahua or Hivision NVRs and cameras at very competitive prices and has an excellent reputation. Keep in mind that chip shortages, sensors in particular, are making prices rise.

Andy
IPCT Thread

Andy's Store

King Security/EmpireTech Store

Email
Andy Wang kingsecurity2014@163.com

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
in my possession, only the big one "Z12" used for LPR is not compaitable with PFA130E, however all other standard dahua bullets / turrets / dome fits the PFA 130E.

For dome, u will need to remove the PFA 130E cover and get the extra long m4 screws as the supplied ones are too short.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a mix of 5442 series cameras - both bullet and turret. The turret cameras tend to be a smaller form factor and are just as effective as the bullet models. However, if you have to use a box with either, the overall size is still relatively large. The turrets I have without a box (mounted directly on my soffits) seem to be small and blend right in. But the turret I have on a box appears much larger and doesn't "blend in". Still, the turrets are smaller than the bullets.

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks all! Great advice. Think the turrets are a perfect option and with those mounts easy to switch out if needed.

Some Ethernet may be ran in conduit as not a straight shot to garage to nvr spot. Do the pfa130s need a special connector if ran with conduit to have exit water tight? Like a punch out cover..

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
. Do the pfa130s need a special connector if ran with conduit to have exit water tight? Like a punch out cover..
that answer can be found here: G3/4 (24.50mm)

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
that answer can be found here: G3/4 (24.50mm)

Thank you! Was searching and found a different thread but no size! Great forum here .

Reaction score
Here's a bit of history on my outdoor / back door camera. Initially, it was a turret, mounted way up there beneath the floodlights. Great overview of the back deck and door, horrible for any detailed identification, but very high wife acceptance factor. Years later, she's used to having cameras, and using this PFA203W mount made a better camera location more acceptable. Just sharing my experience with you. I find these mounts where the camera is "upside down" is much more flexible/useful than placing the camera directly against the wall.
Camera Placement.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
As above, go for Turrets. You'll be spending your life wiping cobwebs off the bullets.
simply not true anymore.

it used to be bullets had a ring of LEDs around the lens. Modern bullets use 2-4 LEDs just like turrets.

I prefer bullets as they seem (subjective) to have better depth of field. But it’s purely an aesthetic question now. Blondes, brunette, just stay away from domes (redheads)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I use standard 3/4" electrical connectors on the PFA 130 for both sealtite and regular conduit. If you're using 1/2" conduit you will need a 3/4x1/2" reducing bushing though.

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
simply not true anymore.

it used to be bullets had a ring of LEDs around the lens. Modern bullets use 2-4 LEDs just like turrets.

I prefer bullets as they seem (subjective) to have better depth of field. But it’s purely an aesthetic question now. Blondes, brunette, just stay away from domes (redheads)
The IR LED's are just part of the problem. The main issue is the overall form factor, especially the lens hood. Not being a flat surface makes it easy for the cobwebs to form.

I have several 'modern' Hikvision bullets -i5 & -i8 variants and they all suffer with cobwebs frequently forming. In the last 5 years I don't think I've ever had to clean off cobwebs from turrets.

There are of course a few reasons why you may want to install Bullets, mine being essentially dummy overview cams that shout "I'm a camera and you are being watched".

Definitely stay away from Redheads however...

(Attached: Recent Hikvision Bullet -i8 with external IR OFF, internal IR ON)

2021-04-21 21.58.38.639.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m staying with my mother currently for rehab from her stroke and she has mostly turrets. I clean spider webs from them almost daily. Location location location! ;)

but yeah, stay away from redheads and anyone named “Tiffany” ( if you’ve seen the video you understand ;)

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks all, going for a mix up. Bullets for front as easy to clean webs and around current location and I’ve had luck even with a ring of leds (currently 18 leds I believe).

Turrets will do well on side and rear to help blend in and Hey my kid can’t try and lasso the turret while playing outback ‍♂.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am sure it is not recommended, but I just mounted my cameras directly to the stucco! I do have the “camera looking at the camera” setup (cross fire) in case anyone fiddles with one camera or another. But these are front facing cameras and they are protected from the weather (5 years so far zero issues). Not using a junction box really helps with the WAF (wife acceptance factor). I would not install this way if the camera were exposed to harsh weather.
I must say I really like the bullet at the door. I want people to know that they are being recorded, and by their reactions when they approach the door (the stares at the camera) I think it is working well for that.

A side note, not all dome cameras have three axis adjustment, where as all bullets have that. So for my front door I not only needed to adjust pan and tilt, I had also had to adjust roll. So I went with bullet as turret style was not so common when I was looking. I think turret win over dome as they do allow for 3 axis adjustment

Attachments

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I am sure it is not recommended, but I just mounted my cameras directly to the stucco!
I wouldn't say that it isn't recommended, it's just that you end up having to drill a much larger hole to hide all the connectors and wiring without a box. I don't use a box when I mount cameras under my eaves because I don't mind the larger hole (and it's protected from the weather). But in other places where either I have to run wire in a conduit or otherwise mount the camera in a location where I don't want a larger hole, using a box allows you to hide the connectors and wiring inside it instead of inside the wall.