Bullets or turrets for new cameras?

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Replacing my current analog cams with ip.

should I do bullets off stucco or turret style to cover driveway and front door?

plan to put one each side of driveway and one covering front door/window. Rear will need bullets as exposed to weather.

Prob aim 2 bullets On each side as well to cover side yard.

Attachments

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I prefer turrets myself for general purpose coverage. The only bullet I use is for a dedicated license plate camera. Everything else is turret/eyeball.

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Replacing my current analog cams with ip.

should I do bullets off stucco or turret style to cover driveway and front door?

plan to put one each side of driveway and one covering front door/window. Rear will need bullets as exposed to weather.

Prob aim 2 bullets On each side as well to cover side yard.
Slammed01

For the rear camera you can still use a turret camera they have the same IP67 rating as bullet cameras.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you! How are they in rain? Would suck to have water spot vision
They are fine. In a downpour you will get spotting but will dry soon after and spots disappear. My LPR bullet can be rendered useless in a hard blowing rain if water is blowing right into it. Same physics apply for turrets.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Turrets can be rotated to fit any needed viewpoint. No need for "flipping" the image in the NVR or VMS. Mounting on stucco, I'd use the appropriate junction box to provide a weather proof location for the RJ45 connection. Otherwise you'll need a 3/4" or 1" hole through the stucco to clear the cable gland.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I have both. I really don't see any difference with spiders with my bullets. If there's IR attracting bugs, then the spiders will come to either.

They are a little easier to move or knock out of position if they can be reached. That's probably the biggest advantage of the turrets.

Bullets are a little more flexible as far as installation in some cases I think (e.g., angled surface, arm and pivot to drop down a bit).

I'd buy either again depending on what it is, where it's going, and what kind of deal I could get. Not much preference either way really as far as form.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
It really depends on the purpose of each camera location

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
As far as locations, I'd suggest your plan is a little too light. Cameras are best utilized in pairs so one can watch another. On the side, for example, one on the back corner looking toward the front, one on the front corner looking toward the back. I'd add a third camera between the single and two car doors looking straight out. Then at least two for the front entry, one mounted directly adjacent to the door, lockset side, at about six feet for full facial identification and one on the outside corner to watch packages. Also remember that mounting a camera higher than seven feet will result in getting the top of the head and serve no purpose when you need to identify someone.

The best way to determine camera locations is to use a test camera and rig as described in the cliff notes. The test camera should be a varifocal so you can also determine the best focal length for a fixed focal length camera. There is also a converter in the Wiki to let you determine the approximate focal length a varifocal is set at.

As far as bullets versus turrets, whatever floats your boat. Some find the turret less obtrusive. I've got five on the front of the house and hardly anyone even notices them. In terms of bugs, bullets used to be real bug attractors when the IR LEDs were in a ring around the lens. Now, the IRs are mounted away from the lens similar to the way it's done in a turret so bugs aren't that big a problem, but they still are a problem at times with either. It all comes down to your personal choice. The junction box would also be needed if you use bullets to protect the RJ45 connector.

Slammed01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you!

I will log in to my laptop and research the notes and attachment too. This helps a lot!!

May look into a 16 channel nvr just to have room then . Thank you for sharing, can’t wait to ditch these analog Swanns.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i will say go where your wallet says so..

first aim for what kind of camera you want. what sensors are in there and their specs.
Once you found the model, they usually comes in Turret/Bullet/Dome.

if you can wait... Wait for specials, they come up regularly.

The retailers knows what are the popular cameras are especially the fact that turrets are popular and benefits are well known so they seldom discount them as they sell automatically and well..

If you have to buy turrets then be prepared to buy them at normal retail price..

but if you are flexible.. bullets and dome do exactly the same thing and may go on specials your local retailer if they are clearing stock.

Recently i snagged a few 2231 series 2 vf bullets and domes at $50 a pop.. so thinking of where to put them now..

I like dome now as nobody can see where it is aiming at.

As for bullet, the new dahuas have some kind of fixed sunshade and the spiders like to build their web under the shade but the web never obstruct the camera's view.

Also I always buy the mount pfa 130e as it is flexible.. just drill 4 holes.. and bullets/turrets/dome can interchangeable at the same spot.