Broadcasting From NVR to TV On The Cheap

SDeGonge

n3wb
Reaction score
So I've finally got my NVR set up with 4 cameras. Now I would like to broadcast the output to all of the TVs in my home as cheaply as possible. I'm thinking that an RF modulator would do the job but I have a few questions. If anyone has done this already, or if you have a better suggestion please respond.

Note: My NVR can output HDMI or VGA at 1920 × 1080 ,1280 × 1024, 1280 × 720, 1024 × 768. It cannot output at lower resolutions like 480i/480P

1. I prefer to do HDMI to a digital channel but can't find any affordable way to do this. Anyone able to do this for under $200?

2. Another option is to go from VGA to TV. I think I would need to get a VGA to Composite converter then feed that into an RF Modulator. Coax from the modulator to all the TVs (analog NTSC).
- The lowest output from the NVR is 1024x768. Will an RF Modulator be able to handle this resolution and downgrade it to NTSC?
- How would the picture look at this resolution? I'm using 4MP cameras.

3. Other options?

SDeGonge

n3wb
Reaction score
Good idea with the splitter unfortunately the TVs are too far from the NVR to run HDMI cables. Going over coax is the best option for me.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
if WiFi available around each TV, you may try an android box connected to each TV. Download the program you use to watch your cameras in the cell, but recommend to include the local ip of your NVR for faster response (instead of the cloud address). You may find android box for less than $50, but recommend look for the highest RAM available and the newest processor (like Lollipop. others)

https://www.amazon.com/Latest-Q-Box-Android-Lollipop-Bluetooth/dp/B01NBAUJTP

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
a wireless mouse will need to connect to each Android Box for controlling. Around $10 extra

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice product, but with a limited budget, adding a streamer to each tv will became very expensive

SDeGonge

n3wb
Reaction score
Nice product, but with a limited budget, adding a streamer to each tv will became very expensive
True. All these ideas are very good but I'm on a tight budget and just want to keep the wife happy by having an easy way for her to view the outside cameras.

g19man

n3wb
Reaction score
Now I would like to broadcast the output to all of the TVs in my home as cheaply as possible. I'm thinking that an RF modulator would do the job
Nice idea. Will your TVs accept a analog signal? Most TVs today only have digital tuners and all the rf modulators that I saw look to be analog output. I guess one of analog to digital converters could work, but there's added expense there. I like the idea and hope to see the best inexpensive solution that comes out of this is.

SDeGonge

n3wb
Reaction score
Just ordered the following from Best Buy to try out....
HDMI-to-RCA Converter
RCA-to-COAX RF Modulator
Only $75 and if it's a failure easy to return.

Not sure how the quality will be but it's worth a shot.
The next option is a $450 HDMI-to-QAM Modulator.