Brillcam POE dropping

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have to say, the brillcams do a decent job. Watching the rolling video I can see my ugly mug 100% clear, even zoomed in. As WITTAJ said, when frozen they do get blurry....bu ti can still make out my facial hair features, eyeglasses,general face etc.....I could still easily tell what clothes I am wearing .....even read my tshirt...... I have auto-lighting in the two locations and with that kicked on not bad....and even if those lights are 100% out, pretty good....so while they are not probably the optimal cameras to use, not too terrible......good enough for now. Once I figure out the PC versus NVR approach I can upgrade.
Please share either that video or a video of a stranger as everyone's interpretation of what is 100% clear is relative LOL. We see many videos here that someone says is good and they are not... It is easy for us to recognize ourselves LOL. If it were a complete stranger, would it do the job of helping ID the person? Can you freeze a frame and get a picture - that is what the police will want and what you always see in the media is a still image of the person taken from the video...

And maybe you just happen to have enough light to make it work, but most of us do not.

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
......one puts the modem/router supplied by the ISP into what is known as bridge mode, which just passes the ISP connection downstream to the ASUS router. That ASUS router would be in place of the ISP router. It would be smart to get one that has WIFI so that your main home LAN would have WIFI. The camera LAN would not be connected to that ASUS router. If you need WIFI for cams, then a cheep access point could be used on that LAN plugged into the POE switch for the cams.
....but if the cameras are not connected to the asus router, then why do I need it at all? The comcast modem includes a 4 port router and wifi.....

The way I have it now is:

Comcast modem router , one line plugs in and goes to a small gigabyte switch I have 4 PCs on.....another line runs to the POE switch I have, which is what I run the PC (currently running the BI sofftware) and the one POE camera on...that switch is an 8 port unmanaged switch. I then use the comcast WIFI to run the two wifi cams.....

If I just use the comcast modem/router/wifi box.......and used two "cheap access points" for the two WIFI cams (plugged into the POE switch), and I set up a Dual NIC, the line coming from my comast going to the first NIC for home network and interweb acces....and then the second NIC connected to the POE switch, would that work? Where does the need for the Asus router come in?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
....but if the cameras are not conencted to the asus router, then why do I need it at all? The comcast modem includes a 4 port router and wifi.....
The asus router is used to VPN back into your home network. There are other options to create a VPN back into YOUR network, but Asus routers are one of the easiest ways to do it. Plus you should NEVER connect your cameras to a wifi router - they are not designed for the data heavy requirements of cameras. Unlike streaming services, these cameras do not buffer video.

Plus many internet providers that provide a wifi router actually allow it to be used for passerbys without your consent as part of their "free wifi" network....you should never use a combo modem/router an ISP provides. If you can pull up a map of the free wifi areas provided by comcast, you will see how many of these are in subdivisions...at least you can with Spectrum.

You should have your cameras isolated from the internet and that is the beauty of the dual NIC system in a BI computer.

Reaction score
The ASUS router is what you would use to host the VPN. The VPN would allow you to access your home LAN from anywhere. You would then access the BI server to view the recording or live view. People say that you use the VPN to view your cams, but technically you are not directly viewing your cams. You are viewing BI. However if you run a dual NIC on the BI PC, you could use the VPN to log in to the BI PC and open a browser to directly access your cams.

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"The asus router is used to VPN back into your home network. " and "The ASUS router is what you would use to host the VPN. "

Ah yes...I forgot that aspect (I told ya, I'm ignernt on networking...lol).

So what ASUS routers come with the VPN aspect? All of em? What models are suggested? I came close to ordering an ASUS router a few months back when the brand new DLINK (taht I had before I swapped it for the brillcam) was constantly crapping the bed and was assuming it was the comcast router.... But the brillcam was so stable, and since comcast gave me one of their brand new routers, I never bothered.

One other issue is that COMCAST SUCKS EGGS...they love to blame the homewowner's equipment for issues....thats why I rent their modem/router...so they cant blame my gear.....adding the asus router/modem into the mix would have them blaming my stuff.....UGH!

I suppose I could first set up the DUAL nic FIRST without the ASUS to make things more secure and then once the dual NIC works, work on the ASUS/VPN for the remote access aspect?

Once the VPN is setup "correctly" and I can access the home network form "anywhere", I would still be able to web interface with the cameras right ?? Seems that Brillcam offers more settings via their web interface than the PC app....

COMCAST does supposedly have some setup for VPNs through their routers.........I swear I saw that somewhere on the config site for the modem/router....

On a related note -- I did an inventory of the particular PC I am using....it is one I built for my son almost 10 years ago -- DONT LAUGH!! This started out as a "lets see what I can throw together" experiment....

Its an AMD Phenom 2 x6 (6 core) 1045T 2.7 ghz with 8 gb RAM. MSI motherboard. 64 Bit W10 Home...my memory lied about the size of my current hard drive....its actually a 7200 rpm 500 GB drive partitioned into C and D...C is 253 GB, D is 677 GB. Clearly I need more storage, hence my considering the skyhawk/purple drives.

I was getting about 5 days of storage of 24/7 footage for the three cameras using DVIEWCAM....will be curious to see how many days BI will give me.....

For the last few months, aside from the windows issues and the drops I originally talked about, DVIEW cam has actually been doing really well.....recording the three feeds, letting me reveiw etc....not anywhere near as robust and feature-filled as BI.....but I digress....seems like the PC is robust enough to run the 3 cams I have, is my point....and so far looks liek BI works great on it???

Keep in mind that I am not looking to have 1 zillion cameras.....right now, just the 3....probably go to 4 or 5...maybe 6 tops....EVENTUALLY. For now the three would be fine.

Sorry for the machine-gun barrage of all my questions......I really do appreciate the great and helpful comments back.

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On the "BI PC hardware" link, its says:

"Blue Iris supports hardware-accelerated H.264 and H.265 video decoding through the use of Quick Sync Video, a technology that is exclusive to Intel CPUs with integrated graphics. "

So I may be dead in the water already with the AMD system. :(

Reaction score
COMCAST does supposedly have some setup for VPNs through their routers.........I swear I saw that somewhere on the config site for the modem/router....
It is possible that your ISP supplied modem/router can support VPN. You would have to research that. If it does, that would make it easier for you. If it has OpenVPN that would be good.

That AMD does not support QuickSync which is what BI uses for Hardware Acceleration to cut CPU usage. If you have an NVIDIA GPU, BI can use that for HA.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, when you VPN back into your home network, you can do everything you can do as if you were home, but doing safely through VPN instead of some port forward or exposing the cameras to the internet solution that most use.

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is possible that your ISP supplied modem/router can support VPN. You would have to research that. If it does, that would make it easier for you. If it has OpenVPN that would be good.

That AMD does not support QuickSync which is what BI uses for Hardware Acceleration to cut CPU usage. If you have an NVIDIA GPU, BI can use that for HA.
I have the NVIDIA geForce GT 610 card in the box now....I will check out the setting you showed above and see if its available to me...
***UPDATE ---
Yep its there and it allowed me to select it. Didnt see any change while recording. I assume it is in the playback where this comes into play.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the NVIDIA geForce GT 610 card in the box now....I will check out the setting you showed above and see if its available to me...
***UPDATE ---
Yep its there and it allowed me to select it. Didnt see any change while recording. I assume it is in the playback where this comes into play.
You will only see a change in the CPU usage. Go to Task Manager and see if it is showing % usage for the NVIDIA.

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, you do not have to do everything at once. Go at your own pace. You will be learning as you go.
So adding the dual NIC card wont be bad.....looks like a PCI 1 10/100/1000 card is under $20....

I think the rub for me will be around the WIFI cameras and the "cheap access point plugged into the POE SWITCH".....

In my weeks of messing with this, I had moved the comcast modem/WIFI router from in my basement to upstairs, to be along an outside wall that is directly across (about 30 feet) from the outbuilding in question to try and get better WIFI reception for that DLINK camera,......that never fixed that issue, which is when I returned it and got the Brillcam WIFI camera.....no issues connecting with that WIFI router where it is.

But if I move the WIFI connection into my room where the BI PC and POE switch are set up, I am thinking reception may again be an issue.....moving into the interior of the house and adding a wall or two to go through, and about another 30 feet (as the crow flies)

Guess al I can do is try it.....and suggetsions on reliable cheap WIFI access points to plug into my POE switch??

SO MANY MOVING PARTS! LOL

Too much caffeine and too much "hey Blue Iris works!" giddiness keeping me up.....

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are ways to get around keeping your cameras off of your network wifi. Powerline Adaptor and Nanostation are two frequent options used.
I googled these two items and all I can say is ...wow....I had no idea this stuff was out there. Which would you choose?

The powerline adaptor seems easiest....? Are they reliable?

Would i be able to use the ONE at the POE switch , and then use one each at the two WIFI cameras, sharing the same connection back at the POE switch? Or would I need one pair for each camera?

And is there a limit on how far away from each other these boxes need to be?

Are they hard to set up? And do both the sender and receiver have to be on the same circuit (breaker) in the same panel? My outbuilding is fed by a breaker in my house panel....but there is a two breaker panel in the outbuilding.

Does this really work? Seems like magic. LOL

Seems like this would be better than a WAP - effectively converting my WIFI cameras to ethernet cabled cameras.

Only rub might be that the operating temp is 32-104 F. My outbuilding is not heated...our winters can get colder than 32.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not knowing what the Comcast router is or how it works, I doubt it. In general, one puts the modem/router supplied by the ISP into what is known as bridge mode, which just passes the ISP connection downstream to the ASUS router. That ASUS router would be in place of the ISP router. It would be smart to get one that has WIFI so that your main home LAN would have WIFI. The camera LAN would not be connected to that ASUS router. If you need WIFI for cams, then a cheep access point could be used on that LAN plugged into the POE switch for the cams.
What do you think about the Asus RT-AX68U? Pricey...but it is one of their newer ones....and I do not want to skimp on the wifi side......

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have used a Powerline Adaptor for years with no problem. They have not been on the same breaker. Simple plug and play....except you cannot use any type of surge protector or battery backup as something in that prevents it from passing, at least in my experience. Mine has been used in well below 32 degrees.

Many here have used the nanostation for years with no problem. I personally haven't tried it but it has great range, like miles.

Whether you can pass two on it will depend on the power draw of the cameras. If not, you could POE switch on the camera end.

That router will provide some future proof. But as someone else mentioned, see if your ISP provider router provides the VPN back into your system, unless of course we convinced you that you shouldn't use their wifi router!

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have used a Powerline Adaptor for years with no problem. They have not been on the same breaker. Simple plug and play....except you cannot use any type of surge protector or battery backup as something in that prevents it from passing, at least in my experience. Mine has been used in well below 32 degrees.

Many here have used the nanostation for years with no problem. I personally haven't tried it but it has great range, like miles.

Whether you can pass two on it will depend on the power draw of the cameras. If not, you could POE switch on the camera end.

That router will provide some future proof. But as someone else mentioned, see if your ISP provider router provides the VPN back into your system, unless of course we convinced you that you shouldn't use their wifi router!
Well, they dont give much info.....

"
How to set up a VPN

With Xfinity, you can set up a VPN through your home router. With your VPN’s “bridge” functionality you can create a remote desktop Web connection and use the Internet securely anywhere.
Third-party applications and downloadable software may provide the same functionality, but using a company you already know and trust is the safest route. Xfinity can provide a VPN that is already in place; all you need to do is download the software to access it."

They seem to indicate THEY will provide VPN software that works thru their gateway/modem/router........but I havent had luck finding it quite yet.....the search continues....