Brightness range in Blue Iris 1-15 is not reflected in the camera as minimum to maximum

allias

n3wb
Reaction score
I am trying to control the camera brightness from a day-night schedule. I have a few different cameras but mainly Reolink RLC-520 Cameras.

The issue is when I change the brightness from Blue Iris the range is 1-15.

At the set minimum brightness (1) the camera brightness is at 0% on the Reolink.

When set to the max brightness (15), the brightness of the Reolink camera is at 40%. Under half brightness. (1-15 = 0-40%).

A much more usable range would be (1-15= 50%-95%).

How can I adjust the range to be 0%-100% or maybe 50%-95%?

Can the range 1-15 be expanded or adjusted (for example 1-50 instead of 1-15)?

The main issue is the Max brightness of 15 is darker than the normal 50% setting of the camera.

Thank you for your help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am trying to control the camera brightness from a day-night schedule. I have a few different cameras but mainly Reolink RLC-520 Cameras.

The issue is when I change the brightness from Blue Iris the range is 1-15.

At the set minimum brightness (1) the camera brightness is at 0% on the Reolink.

When set to the max brightness (15), the brightness of the Reolink camera is at 40%. Under half brightness. (1-15 = 0-40%).

A much more usable range would be (1-15= 50%-95%).

How can I adjust the range to be 0%-100% or maybe 50%-95%?

Can the range 1-15 be expanded or adjusted (for example 1-50 instead of 1-15)?

The main issue is the Max brightness of 15 is darker than the normal 50% setting of the camera.

Thank you for your help!
you will need to email support. Also note that reolink cameras despite the companies false claims are not fully compatible with blue iris because of the inability to set the iframe interval.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Plus you need to be adjusting these parameters within the camera themselves with the camera's web GUI, not within BI, if that is even possible with Reolink...

allias

n3wb
Reaction score
Right, all the fine-tuning settings are done in the camera software. I was only interested in changing the brightness. I'll contact support.

Interesting what you said about the iframe interval. I was worried about that when I set up the cameras and the CPU was getting too high. Even though there is no way to adjust it, the iFrame rate seems to be set in such a way that limit decoding works great. CPU usage went down considerably. With no issues with recording or playback live or web. I'm on the latest firmware as of 10-15-2020 and recording at 15fps h264.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Right, all the fine-tuning settings are done in the camera software. I was only interested in changing the brightness. I'll contact support.

Interesting what you said about the iframe interval. I was worried about that when I set up the cameras and the CPU was getting too high. Even though there is no way to adjust it, the iFrame rate seems to be set in such a way that limit decoding works great. CPU usage went down considerably. With no issues with recording or playback live or web. I'm on the latest firmware as of 10-15-2020 and recording at 15fps h264.
Incorrect. The iframe interval is dynamic on those cams, like running h.264+/5+ or smart codec that is not compatible with blue iris. When the camera decides to use longer intervals you will be screwed. If you record on motion you will miss video unless you set long pre-trigger record times other functions the blue iris relies on iframes for will not work properly. Search manual for key frames.
Limit decoding should not be used unless you know what you are doing. You likely dont understand how it works and its limitations. See wiki.
To save CPU use the new substream feature instead.
Simply put, reolink is not fully compatible with BI and the company lies about it. They post fake amazon reviews and even visit forums like this pretending to be end users and post fake rave reviews of their subpar junk with small sensors that are horrible in low light/night. They trick end users by automatically increasing the exposure so the still image looks good but any movement is blurry.