Breach of privacy

SvenV

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm planning of installing a cam soon at the side of my house.
This is aiming at my front door, but some part of the public road is also filmed.
Now I was reading the camera laws they have here in Belgium. Looks like this is not allowed, well, you can do it, but people can complain about it.
None the less I was planning of putting up a sign.

I was wondering how is this in other countries? Is there a strict legislation for this?
What about breach of privacy? Can people make a big deal of it?

I was also thinking about the following scenario: Let's say someone shoots a gun from the public road at my house and I have filmed that.
Will I have a case here because this person was on the public road a filming this person there is breach of privacy, right?

Curious to see what others have to say about this.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm planning of installing a cam soon at the side of my house.
This is aiming at my front door, but some part of the public road is also filmed.
Now I was reading the camera laws they have here in Belgium. Looks like this is not allowed, well, you can do it, but people can complain about it.
None the less I was planning of putting up a sign.

I was wondering how is this in other countries? Is there a strict legislation for this?
What about breach of privacy? Can people make a big deal of it?

I was also thinking about the following scenario: Let's say someone shoots a gun from the public road at my house and I have filmed that.
Will I have a case here because this person was on the public road a filming this person there is breach of privacy, right?

Curious to see what others have to say about this.
In the US, generally, there is no expectation of privacy in public. So if I can see it with my eyes from my home or the street, I can film it. Audio is regulated differently.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the US, generally, there is no expectation of privacy in public. So if I can see it with my eyes from my home or the street, I can film it. Audio is regulated differently.
I would just add that these laws will soon change, based on the trending use of drone copter's ability to go into private spaces. We're in for a treat!