Bosch IR illuminator

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has tried Bosch IR illuminators, specifically this one:
While about twice the cost of a comparable Axon, this model allows for adjustment of the IR angle. For my LPR application, the capture point is 355 feet, which puts it in the highest end of one Axton illuminator and the lower end of the next model down. While the price for the Bosch is steep, it would be better to experiment with angles on one illuminator rather than buy more than one Axton.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Never ceases to amaze me how much the "good" brands cost.

The most I ever spent on an IR illuminator was $45 for a Univivi model from amazon, but it doesn't have a 940nm option, or a focusable lens (not even a selection of focal lengths available), and it can't run on PoE+ like that, and it looks less high quality. But it probably outputs about the same amount of light for a single digit percentage of the price. I wonder if you can find a cheap fresnel lens (like an overhead projector uses) to stick over an inexpensive wide angle IR illuminator to focus the light in a narrow beam.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Never ceases to amaze me how much the "good" brands cost.

The most I ever spent on an IR illuminator was $45 for a Univivi model from amazon, but it doesn't have a 940nm option, or a focusable lens (not even a selection of focal lengths available), and it can't run on PoE+ like that, and it looks less high quality. But it probably outputs about the same amount of light for a single digit percentage of the price. I wonder if you can find a cheap fresnel lens (like an overhead projector uses) to stick over an inexpensive wide angle IR illuminator to focus the light in a narrow beam.
You're probably, though I suspect the Axon illuminators are a few notches above as I've spoken to Doug there (as others here have) and he's explained how they manufacture them and the conditions that they test them under. I'd sure like to find something cheaper, though.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What camera are you using that can make the plate large enough at 355 feet?

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I figured you'd ask. For this project I'm using the 2mp 25x positioning camera, PTZ1A225-HNR-XA.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah a PTZ should do it LOL.

I will have to see how far I was able to get plates with the 49225 and its built-in IR. I tested it once for kicks and grins.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
This is certainly one of those situations where you need to "buy once, cry once." Your needs are pretty unique and are going to require something like the Bosch to get the results you want. While I haven't seen the interchangeable lenses before, that is a great idea and should work well.