Blur your house on Google Maps

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone done this?

Good idea or make the home a target?

I have not and likely won't. I don't see that it would make much a difference, privacy or security-wise, a least in my case. IMO, blurring my house would be just one drop in a bucket full of more invasive and more critical security or privacy concerns.

But as usual, YMMV. :cool:

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have not and likely won't. I don't see that it would make much a difference, privacy or security-wise, a least in my case. IMO, blurring my house would be just one drop in a bucket full of more invasive and more critical security or privacy concerns.

But as usual, YMMV. :cool:
I agree....there isn't really much benefit in doing this for most people.

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Gonna have to blur it out on Bing maps and apple maps too or whatever other imagery services are out there. I did it on Google street view and one funny thing is when the "sell us your home" junk mail comes in with blurry street view images. One downside I noticed is that they won't upload new imagery within around a few hundred feet of the home after it has been blurred. P_20230906_095210_1.jpg

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have my house blurred with Google and Microsoft. I also turn off my cell phone most of the time when I leave my house. Plus I disconnected OnStar on my vehicle. Text messaging is blocked on my cell phone so I don't have to worry about any text messages messing up my life.

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Gonna have to blur it out on Bing maps and apple maps too or whatever other imagery services are out there. I did it on Google street view and one funny thing is when the "sell us your home" junk mail comes in with blurry street view images. One downside I noticed is that they won't upload new imagery within around a few hundred feet of the home after it has been blurred. View attachment 171691
Yes, I too have received junk mail with my house blurred. LOL

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
What does this do about older Street View images? Does it go back and blur all of them?

Reaction score
Has anyone done this?

Good idea or make the home a target?

NO, but I have blurred out 34 other folks homes.

This is just funny. "You can also remove your home from Google Maps if you have a lot of valuables or antiques inside. " So I guess that Google maps can see inside and lists the antiques inside?

If someone is going to penetrate your home, they are going to do a drive by first if they are the type that would 'plan' it using Google Maps or streetview. Much ado about nothing.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
What does this do about older Street View images? Does it go back and blur all of them?
To answer my own question, no it doesn't. You have to do it for each year.

Kind of interesting too, after I submitted the request, which it did to within 24 hours, it updated the Street View from one made in 2014 to one made in 2023 that wasn't showing before.