BlueIris PTZ and a Foscam 9831

praxisity

n3wb
Reaction score
The folks setting up my newest camera (not a Foscam) had reached a point where everything worked with their software and BlueIris but not IE.

They then did something which caused a flood of Sent Packets Dropped by my router. :(
Searching for a solution, they asked me to connect my new camera directly to my PC hoping the SPD would go away. It didn't make any sense to me, it was the camera generating the flood, where is was connected was irrelevant. But I did it.
After many hours they gave up to celebrate a Chinese Holiday.

I spent those weekend days looking at their software's config and found that they had turned Multicast ON. When I turned it OFF the flood stopped. :)

Last night they finished getting PTZ to work with their software, IE and BlueIris,
but PTZ no longer worked in BlueIris with the Foscam camera. :(
I intended to contact Foscam but decided that I'd first connect the new camera to the router again.
I found that the PTZ for Foscam now worked again in BI. :)
I don't understand why that made a difference.

Anyway, I think that everything is good now. I just wanted to let you know about
- the impact of having cameras connected to the PC and router at the same time, and of course
- Multicast.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You never know with cameras what sort of funky network features they will have enabled. You have to really pay attention these days because the cams often come with UPnP or similar technologies enabled that open a hole in your router's firewall without your knowledge. Some have DDNS preconfigured by the manufacturer. Some are set to phone home to a web portal for what they call "p2p" or plug and play functionality.