Blue Iris with this setup or use a NVR

SharpTJ1

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I would rather use Blue Iris type software (if this setup would work), but am open to NVR.

Here is what I would like to do, but I am unsure of what specific models to buy, so any help pointing me toward specific models would be appreciated.

I "think" I would use a 16 channel PoE switch mounted in a closet, then a single Cat6 ran back to attic and down to my router.

I think I want the cameras to be 3MP and record on motion only.

What speed switch do I need (would one of these switches be appropriate?)...10/100 or gigabit?
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-16-Port-100Mbps-Switch-TPE-S160/dp/B0050AMJSG
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RWB5758?psc=1
Is there a total power from the switch something I should be concerned about?

I have an older Lenovo 9088CTO (2DUO E8400 COU) PC that I could add a WD drive to, if it has the CPU power. It is 3.00GHz running Win7

I guess I just want some advice on which switch to get, if I have it configured correctly in my head, and if that PC can handle the 16 camera (max) system. (Reality will probably be around 10 cameras).

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That pc cannot hand 16 3p cameras...not even close.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I want the cameras to be 3MP and record on motion only.
Before you buy a whole setup I recommend you buy one of the cameras you are interested in using, and run it through the wringer. Motion detection may not work as well as you are hoping.

SharpTJ1

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok..what about the switch?

Ill prob buy a couple cameras for inside and use that pc for now

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The POE cameras often have a 12V connector as well. Maybe you can just use an AC adapter during the test phase?

edit to add: if you are going to use any cameras outside, find a way to test one outside. You need to play with motion detection, really learn its limitations before you make a final plan.