Blue Iris - what is it and what can it do?

mik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked/answered but can't find it. So is this software to use your computer as a NVR? Can you use this to remotely look at cameras that are on another NVR?

Thanks and apologize if this has already been asked.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can do both...primarily its used for the first purpose...it is a very power NVR package at a super affordable price...you can mix and match hundreds of camera brands...the downside it that it requires a decently powerful pc depending on the quantity and quality of the cameras you are using. There are other packages that require less cpu power but they are much more expensive.

if you just want to look at another nvr romotley you can use can just log into the nvr..blue iris will not be able review recorded video that is on the NVR..just a live stream...blue iris could then record the stream independently of the nvr but this would use alot of bandwidth as it would have to be streaming 24/7

mik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
..the downside it that it requires a decently powerful pc depending on the quantity and quality of the cameras you are using.
fenderman, when you say decently powerful PC, what do you mean?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It depends on the total megapixles used...I can run 8 cameras at 22mp total in an i7-4770 with 17-22 percent utilization at idle ..to do this you need to use an option called direct to disc, which does not reencode the video..that is how all other NVR software do it anyway..
Another example, 6 cams 12mp with an i5-3570s ....about 30 percent cpu...
The idea is dont expect to run 8 3mp cameras on a first generation i5 cpu...or worse....