Blue iris vs standalone NVR - no Internet

harleyl7

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a friend that has no Internet at his house. He wants security cameras.

What's a better option? Standalone NVR? DVR?

Or blue iris?

What's the setup look like with blue iris and no Internet? I assume I can still generate a LAN for it all to run.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just configure the BI server and all cams with unique static IP's all in the same subnet, plugged into a POE switch, no router or Internet needed.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Same setup whether it had internet or not.

Comes down to what they want.

The pros and cons are basically the same except things for alerts wouldn't be applicable.

NVR versus BI

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I can only think of three instances where you need the internet for BI related functions: 1) To download the software and register the license initially to get it out of "trial" mode 2) To download an update for the software 3) To view the cameras or get notifications while off site.

You will need to download and install the BI software and then register the license at a location that does have internet and then move the computer to the "off grid" location. In the same way, you could download any update you want to install onto a USB drive and physically carry it to the offgrid location, copy it over to the BI machine, and update the software that way. Obviously #3 is going to be impossible without internet, but the core BI system will work just fine without internet access.