Blue Iris "user" server access?

Jaceon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,
I am going to be training a school superintendent to use the actual blue iris server GUI via RDP, so that he can be in charge of monitoring/recording/ maybe schedules/etc. Is there a way to grant someone server access as a user, that way he can't totally screw something up?
Thanks

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not sure you can its either user or admin. What I would do is backup the settings and once they have finished restore everything back. There is the option within BI to backup the settings then just import the backed up reg key so your back where you first started with.

upload_2017-2-28_12-39-14.png

Jaceon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am quite familiar with Blue iris, just making sure I wasn't missing something, as it seems they add features quite often. Anyways, I trust this guy and it's their system so don't mind giving him administrator access. For clarity, I'm talking about user access to the Blue Iris GUI itself not the PC. Just looking for a yes or no. Thanks for thoughts though =)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I could be wrong (I have been before, says my wife) but to my knowledge the only 'users' one can create on BI are those that would be coming in remotely either via the browser GUI or via an iOS or Android app. The image below details some options made available to a specific user when set up. It seems cyberwolf_uk has a good point about backing up your BI reg file, as it would seem any kind of RDP access would give full admin access to BI and allow that person to 'screw it up'.

BI_user.jpg

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why can't you set the recording up to be automatic (motion/sound based), give Blue Iris enough drive space to keep a decent backlog of recordings, and automate the scheduling? All of these things are what Blue Iris was designed to do, and taking power away from BI to let a human manually do it is just complicating things.

Then the only problem you have left to solve is reviewing live/recorded video, and your superintendent doesn't need RDP and console access for that - in fact, I prefer using UI2 over the default BI interface. Just set up UI2 and give him the internal IP.

Jaceon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use UI2 for general viewing and Love it. However, I've never had good luck downloading clips from there, and I have blue iris recording in bvr, so have always found it MUCH easier to save/cut clips straight from Blue Iris. Maybe I'm missing something in UI2 but last I tried, saving clips from there didn't even work. Anyways, thanks for the thoughts! Prov 27:17