Blue Iris Updates (64 bit)

Blue Iris Updates - Official Thread 5.8.9.6

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anybody else notice a significant increase in memory use with the latest update?

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 9.15.34 PM.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've seen the same kind of increases with each iteration/update. Starts out low, ramps up quickly, settles on the high side for a day or so, then drops back to normal. I have no idea why it behaves like this, but I won't be concerned unless it doesn't drop back down after a day or two.

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've seen the same kind of increases with each iteration/update. Starts out low, ramps up quickly, settles on the high side for a day or so, then drops back to normal. I have no idea why it behaves like this, but I won't be concerned unless it doesn't drop back down after a day or two.
I run BI as a service so I restarted the service and everything seems like it is back to normal.

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 11.33.36 AM.png

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
So I looked at memory utilization an hour ago. I had updated to 5.5.2.0 at around 09:30 this morning. Initially, immediately after the update, it was little over 2GB. Around noon time it was 4.88GB. By 15:30 it was back down to 2.88GB. This is the kind of pattern I've seen over a number of updates, sometimes taking longer to drop, but always dropping back to normal levels.

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is the kind of pattern I've seen over a number of updates, sometimes taking longer to drop, but always dropping back to normal levels.
Hmmm... I graph memory usage and I don't remember ever seeing this kind of a pattern after an update. With 5.5.2.0 the memory usage kept going up until my home automation system triggered a BI service restart just after 3:00 am. The system is set to trigger a service restart if the memory usage exceeds 90%.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmmm... I graph memory usage and I don't remember ever seeing this kind of a pattern after an update. With 5.5.2.0 the memory usage kept going up until my home automation system triggered a BI service restart just after 3:00 am. The system is set to trigger a service restart if the memory usage exceeds 90%.
Somehow mine updated (from 5.4.9.18) when I was supposed to have not allowed that to happen. I ended up with 5.5.2.0 and my CPU shot to 100% from 55% and I lost my console layout with a couple large windows and the rest small - they were all small and I didn't see the slider to change them. I was getting multiple "pipeline" errors all of a sudden on my Fire TV's with the UI3 too.

I downgraded back to 5.4.9.18 and all is back to normal - 55% CPU and my console layout as I wanted it and my Fire TV's working fine.

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why a restart at night when the night crawlers will be out and not during the day?
It’s an event driven automation so it could happen anytime. In this case the memory usage just happened to reach 90% at that time. This was actually the first time I’ve seen it run.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I just updated to 5.5.2.1 this morning. While I don't monitor memory regularly I do keep notes every time I'm on the console. Right after the update the CPU spiked for a couple of minutes then dropped back to the normal ~20% or so. Memory was down in the 2.1GB range. I'll check it again later. Keep in mind I'm not using HA at all on any camera.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s an event driven automation so it could happen anytime. In this case the memory usage just happened to reach 90% at that time. This was actually the first time I’ve seen it run.
My point still stands? When you restart the service you’ll be looking at an outage of around 25-30 seconds in the middle of the night.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But a full crash and restart of BI is a fraction of a second.

I was literally in the console once when BI crashed due to memory leak in one of those recent updates and is was less than 0.2 seconds of video missed when I played it back.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The help pdf's 'Update Notes' has this entry: "Export camera status in CSV format."

To use this new feature... click the Status icon > Cameras tab > Export button...

csv_export_1.png

Here's what the csv file output looks like if you do not include the camera credentials:

csv_export_2.png

And with the credentials...

csv_export_3.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I was just on the Zoom conference with BI. Impressed, Ken was online as well.

I asked about the way memory goes up and down with the installation of each update. When I got into the meeting mine was at 3.78GB. By the time I asked the question it was down to 2.15GB or so. The long and short is that there is no "clean up" routine in BI. Apparently it is specific to each machine/configuration and the way Windows is handling memory along with any other programs that may be running.

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
But a full crash and restart of BI is a fraction of a second.
You're not taking into consideration how high memory usage affects DeepStack. On my system DeepStack utilizes about 8% of the available memory. If my memory usage gets above 90% the computer slows down to a crawl.

Last edited: