Blue Iris UI3

sam1982

n3wb
Reaction score
Just joined this forum to comment on new UI3. One word AMAZING. You can tell that someone passionate about BI has developed this great interface. Great work bp2008 and ruppmeister.

I have one question though. I wasn't able to find DIO remote control area. Looked in UI settings but could not locate it. Is this feature added or do i need to rely on mobile app to control DI0.

Thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have one question though. I wasn't able to find DIO remote control area. Looked in UI settings but could not locate it. Is this feature added or do i need to rely on mobile app to control DI0.
There is a DIO Output 1 item in the camera properties (right click / long press on a live camera to get the context menu with Properties in it). Is this what you are talking about or does the mobile app have more than this? I don't use this feature at all myself.

sam1982

n3wb
Reaction score
There is a DIO Output 1 item in the camera properties (right click / long press on a live camera to get the context menu with Properties in it). Is this what you are talking about or does the mobile app have more than this? I don't use this feature at all myself.
bp2008 thank you for quick reply. I could be wrong here but i think DIO output 1 is related to each cameras DIO output. I was referring to the area below in the app, which can also be found under BI options -> Digital I/O

I can sound the siren with one of these outputs by using a sealevel peo device. it helps if i see any suspicious activity around property.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm. Now that you show me that, I do see a Remote Control screen on the Android app as well, though it is missing the Reset PC button. Does that button really reboot the computer running Blue Iris??

I should be able to add those features to UI3, though I can't make any promises as to when :)

grimmace4

n3wb
Reaction score
I upgraded from b10 to b23. Now when using the URL:
Code:
http://XXXXXXXX/ui3beta/ui3.htm
I am not seeing the UI3 login page. It now uses Chrome/FireFox's default username/password popup. Is this correct?

Capture1.JPG

I did figure out that if I use the URL:
Code:
http://XXXXXXXX/login.htm?page=%2Fui3beta%2Fui3.htm
I am brought to the UI3 login page and it works fine. Just wondering if I need to use a new URL now to access the nice login page?

Capture2.JPG

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
bp2008 thank you for quick reply. I could be wrong here but i think DIO output 1 is related to each cameras DIO output. I was referring to the area below in the app, which can also be found under BI options -> Digital I/O

I can sound the siren with one of these outputs by using a sealevel peo device. it helps if i see any suspicious activity around property.
Is this Android or Apple app?
I don't have the Reset PC either on my droid.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I can verify its on IOS and yes, it will restart the PC. On IOS you click on the light bulb icon.

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey bp...now that I've got all my hardware working so well, I decided to spend some time getting ui3 up and running across all my web-based devices. To that end, here are some things I thought I would share:

1. Was able to get it it working on my desktop PC's with ease (Firefox and Chrome), and generally getting had good performance. I played around with the settings you described above (quality and max bitrate), and saw some improvements in quality. I must admit that from a visual quality standpoint, I prefer the jpeg stream, but then the framerate is quite poor. And especially on my 4K cameras, where I'm getting max of 4fps, versus h264 and 20 FPS. But the H264 just looks muddy to me. I guess it's just a real-world trade off I have to make

2. I also ran ui3 on the Smart-TV's in my house with great results. The only request I would have in this scenario, is to have some way to toggle off the "Welcome to UI3 Beta" pop-up that displays in the bottom right corner. I would imagine that you will not have this in the final, so not a big deal. But on the Smart TV's it's a bit of a pain to (slowly) move the cursor into just the right spot to close the dialogue box. And since my wife tends to use the TV's alot, I'd like for her to easily bring up the display and not have to click on the box to close it. Either that...or just make the time it takes to disappear much shorter.

Bottom line though....this UI is really great! Thanks for making such a MUCH needed addition to Blue Iris...well done guys!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not seeing the UI3 login page. It now uses Chrome/FireFox's default username/password popup. Is this correct?
This is unrelated to UI3. You have disabled the Secure Only mode of the web server, which makes the web server prefer HTTP basic authentication instead of the more-secure login page.

Hey bp...now that I've got all my hardware working so well, I decided to spend some time getting ui3 up and running across all my web-based devices. To that end, here are some things I thought I would share:

1. Was able to get it it working on my desktop PC's with ease (Firefox and Chrome), and generally getting had good performance. I played around with the settings you described above (quality and max bitrate), and saw some improvements in quality. I must admit that from a visual quality standpoint, I prefer the jpeg stream, but then the framerate is quite poor. And especially on my 4K cameras, where I'm getting max of 4fps, versus h264 and 20 FPS. But the H264 just looks muddy to me. I guess it's just a real-world trade off I have to make

2. I also ran ui3 on the Smart-TV's in my house with great results. The only request I would have in this scenario, is to have some way to toggle off the "Welcome to UI3 Beta" pop-up that displays in the bottom right corner. I would imagine that you will not have this in the final, so not a big deal. But on the Smart TV's it's a bit of a pain to (slowly) move the cursor into just the right spot to close the dialogue box. And since my wife tends to use the TV's alot, I'd like for her to easily bring up the display and not have to click on the box to close it. Either that...or just make the time it takes to disappear much shorter.

Bottom line though....this UI is really great! Thanks for making such a MUCH needed addition to Blue Iris...well done guys!
1) H.264 streaming is currently stuck at 1280x720 so yeah it doesn't compare favorably with Jpeg mode for a 4K camera especially. I am hoping the developer will fix this soon. I told him about the problem ages ago.

2) The welcome popup is intentionally a bit annoying so that folks will have an incentive to upgrade once this is official (since it will likely be part of a paid BI 5 upgrade). Of course at this point I have no idea when that will be.

skarragallagher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there any way to disable the pop up warning when you select an alert. I don't record on my inside cameras but it takes a still frame. Everytime I get this. if it's actual video there is no issue

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there any way to disable the pop up warning when you select an alert. I don't record on my inside cameras but it takes a still frame. Everytime I get this. if it's actual video there is no issue
No, you can't disable those (any) error messages. I've never had alerts that are only a snapshot before, so I didn't know they caused this problem. I will fix it.

Last edited:

skarragallagher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, you can't disable those (any) error messages. I've never had alerts that are only a snapshot before, so I didn't know they caused this problem. I will fix it.
Awesome... Thanks again for this. I love it

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is looking really good.

A request - When viewing a live single camera could the right and left cursor be enabled to move to the previous or next camera without having to go back to the multi camera view?

Thank you for all your effort and time spent on this!
That would interfere with PTZ controls, but I think that could be accommodated with a different set of keys :)
Any chance this could get into the next version?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to implement the previous/next camera hotkeys to cycle through cameras. But what should happen if one of those hotkeys is pressed while you are viewing the group stream? I see 3 options:

1) Do nothing. User must maximize a camera before the hotkeys will work.
2) Include the group stream as the first item in the cycle. Pressing the "Next camera" key will maximize the first camera.
3) Switch to the previous/next item defined in the "Current Group" dropdown list.

I feel like #3 adds the most utility, but would make the feature harder to understand and more disruptive if used accidentally, so lets scratch that one out.

Unless anyone has a better idea, I'm going to map these by default to < and > keys. Those keys also function as "skip forward/back one frame" when viewing a clip.

Last edited:

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The way I use it #1 would work the best. #2 would be OK if that is better for some reason.

Thanks for all the work!!

teamRAVEGREEN

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but I'm new to BI and really this whole security camera thing... sorry, I'm the FNG with a question...

Is the web interface on BI or more specifically your updated web UI designed to be a replacement for regularly launching the application on the BI server? Are there limitations to only using the web UI?

I'm assuming 'yes' so that you can stash away your BI 'server' some place and not have to constantly access the cameras and setup via the server. However, I guess it could also just be a way to access the cameras managed by BI once setup and not really have any functionality for setup or configuration.

Either way, I'll give it a go. Thanks for putting your time and effort into this project!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
No, UI3 is not intended to replace the local console. It only provides a similar feature set to what the mobile apps (Android/iOS) provide.

You can always stash away the Blue Iris server somewhere and use remote desktop to access the local console.

Zanthexter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Blue Iris web interface is getting a refresh, but it isn't quite done yet!
First Impression - HUGE improvement. Enough to justify the upgrade to BIv5 by itself.

One of BlueIris' big shortcomings is that it doesn't provide a way to present a unified view of several BlueIris servers at once. A small business owner with a few locations for example. So, suggestion for you...a physically separate stand-alone version of the web page/server able to consolidate views from many BlueIris systems at once. Take the work you've already done, and "just" allow it to pull from several sources instead of one with the option to do so on a stand alone server. (finger quotes deliberate)

I'd pay for it. I expect others would as well. You're contributing so much to BI, why not work something out with the author allowing you to make a little money for your time with the "Pro Server" version of what you're letting him include for free? It'd give you an incentive to keep improving the web interface for folks with single servers, solve a big limitation of the system, help you, help him, help us, everyone wins.

Heck, I could see setting up a physically separate just to be able to stream in the highest quality my internet connection would support, preferably to multiple destinations, all while taking the load off of the BI server.

Thanks for the work you've done. It's fantastic!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've considered building a client that simultaneously accesses multiple servers before, but there are a number of issues.

1) Extremely small user base.
2) Most people using it would not be happy with the camera layout limitations.
3) Anything that relied on data from all servers would load only as quickly as the slowest server. Specifically this would affect a combined clip/alert list.
4) If the UI was built as a web page (safe bet) then it would get more and more sluggish as more script work was added to the main thread. (JavaScript doesn't do multi-threading very well)

In the end, I recommend that people buy more or bigger monitors and just open several browser windows at once.