Blue Iris UI3

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There's no way to remotely control UI3 in that manner, and it is a safe bet there never will be since it is not something I could implement on my own without the ability to run code on the server.

Reaction score
There's no way to remotely control UI3 in that manner, and it is a safe bet there never will be since it is not something I could implement on my own without the ability to run code on the server.
Thanks, hopefully I can figure out something else. Love UI3 and definitely want to keep on using it!

Reaction score
didn't have time to read all 171 pages but.... :)
Just wanted to confirm. UI3 works 100% using a Rasberry Pi2b with the newer Rasbian OS. This Rasberry Pi2 arrived with the 2015 OS which couldnt/wouldnt do Chronium (at least, couldn't figure out how). Figured a new OS would fix that, and it did.
The display is not blazing fast, but 5-8 FPS which is suitable for casual notifications. Displaying 13 cameras at 1080p streaming quality.
I initially was unsure if the Pi2 would have the horsepower for the video so had a Pi3 on standby. Luckily, so far so good (30 minutes into streaming).
Not shabby actually. Was using a Amazon Firestick sideloaded with Chrome for a long time. Maybe it was the 'Lite' version but the Firestick kept reverting back to the main Amazon page 3 or 4x's a week or simply crashing Chrome.

Reaction score
@bp2008
In some post a couple years ago, you said some browsers do not support full screen.
This Chronium does on the Rasberry Pi2b, but I have to manually hit the button on the lower right corner.
I am able to use the URL parameter of "maximize=1" and also "group=outside" upon startup which is great. I looked in the help file but there is no mention of auto-full screen. Looney said years ago that "fullscreen=1" should work. It does not on this Chronium.
Is this one of those browsers that do not support URL fullscreen?
What is weird... the Amazon Firestick side-loaded Chrome auto started in full screen (though there is no URL parameter for it in there). Of course, that was Chrome and not Chronium.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@bp2008
In some post a couple years ago, you said some browsers do not support full screen.
This Chronium does on the Rasberry Pi2b, but I have to manually hit the button on the lower right corner.
I am able to use the URL parameter of "maximize=1" and also "group=outside" upon startup which is great. I looked in the help file but there is no mention of auto-full screen. Looney said years ago that "fullscreen=1" should work. It does not on this Chronium.
Is this one of those browsers that do not support URL fullscreen?
What is weird... the Amazon Firestick side-loaded Chrome auto started in full screen (though there is no URL parameter for it in there). Of course, that was Chrome and not Chronium.
There is no fullscreen URL parameter because the browser won't allow a web page to enter fullscreen mode except in response to user input such as a click or key press.

VirtualCam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
UI3 version 206, Blue Iris version: 5.5.6.11

I've had a new issue crop up in the last couple of days. Things have been working great for the last year or so. The only thing that changed as I got a new set of Windows updates thrown at me and a forced reboot. After that, UI3 will freeze on me every couple of hours. If I click refresh, everything is fine again for a couple hours, then it freezes again.

I'm using IE as the browser.

Any idea what's going on? How do I track this down?

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello, UI3 has always been great, but I've always wanted one feature, which would help a lot with high resolution cameras.

When zooming in, on a high resolution camera, it would be nice to have the option of the UI3 interface to only encode and stream the portion that's zoomed in.

As it stands now, especially if there's a lot of movement on the camera, the zoomed in view is of really low quality. If UI3 was able to somehow only encode the zoomed in portion of the bitmap, it would be much clearer.

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, likely both server and client, if that functionality isn't already available somehow.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
UI3 will freeze on me every couple of hours. If I click refresh, everything is fine again for a couple hours, then it freezes again.
Does anything on the page still respond after it is frozen? Can you try opening the developer tools via the F12 key (or ctrl + i) and look at the console output to see if anything weird has happened?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, likely both server and client, if that functionality isn't already available somehow.
If it were, I think it would already be there.
I have certainly thought about it, but trust me, it is not worth the massive collaborative effort between Blue Iris and myself that it would take to do this with an acceptable level of performance. There's simply too much complexity and very little gain.

If you choose the "2160p" streaming profile then you will typically get very high quality anyway, and if you're not satisfied by that, then you can create a new streaming profile in UI3 that encodes the stream however you like. You can get very close to lossless encoding with higher quality values and the bit rate limit disabled, at the obvious cost of terrible efficiency.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
So what do you suggest? I had always used Jpeg HD, but after seeing these last few posts I have changed to 1080p2MP. Pros cons?
Heh, I can't believe you are asking this. But UI3's Jpeg options are basically just compatibility modes for systems that can't run H.264. You don't get camera audio with Jpeg streams, and the frame rate can be low, and the compression is not very efficient.

I suggest 1080p VBR or 2160p VBR if you are remote (over the internet) or on wifi. Otherwise 2160p for wired LAN connections if your viewing device can handle it. If it can't handle it, step down to 1440p, 1080p, etc until it can handle it.