Blue Iris triggers when running as a service

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This may be in the BI manual, but I haven't gotten that far into the manual yet, and it is frustrating me so I thought I would just ask...

I have now successfully gotten BI setup and running with 2 cameras.

I defined Triggers for Motion on each camera (Camera Settings -> Triggers), set to "Database Only" and under the "Immediate Actions" I created a trigger that would play a sound on motion.
No changes to any other settings on the tab.
Test and this worked.

I also created an Alert that played a different sound.
Testing this, I found that both the Trigger and the Alert were firing on motion, so I deleted the Alert.

Everything was working correctly. Then later in the day during testing, suddenly the triggers weren't playing the sounds.

After a little testing, I realized that they stopped working when I changed BI to run as a service.

When I click the "Test" button in the Triggers/Immediate Action dialog it tells me the trigger was successful but did not play the sound.
When I click "Trigger Now" on the camera right-mouse button context menu, the camera window frame turned red, but the sound did not play.

Changing back to not run as a service, and the triggers fire and play the sound correctly.

I am assuming that it has something to do with the account/process that the service is running under, the service is running under the default user account (it is a local admin account).

Does anyone know of a solution to this issue, or have an idea on where to start looking to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks,

Eric

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not the same thing but just so you know, you also can have different sounds for different cams for alerts sent to the app. That's done under Alerts > Actions, On alert button > Action set.
Thanks.
I have this set in the Trigger for each camera. One plays a doorbell sound and the other plays some other obnoxious sound. I will eventually create my on wav files to be played so that I can easily know what sound belongs to which camera.

That post makes some sense, but I have the UI up - even though it is probably running a limited version of the software just to display the cameras while the core is running as a service.

Looking at the MS docs on Interactive Services, it does seem that a Service should not play a sound, but it would seem that since there is a UI, it could be done.

I'll look into the doing it the way that is suggested in the link you provided.

Thanks,

Eric