Blue Iris system recommendation? AMD vs Intel?

MythicFrost

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I see most recommendations for Intel. Why is this?
I'm thinking of an AMD 3600 6-core 12-thread w/ 8GB of RAM for 8x4MP cameras @ 30 FPS = 960Mbps.

Is a GPU needed?

Would that be suitable?

Cheers

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I see most recommendations for Intel. Why is this?
I've just copied direct from this wiki page:

Blue Iris supports hardware-accelerated H.264 and H.265 video decoding through the use of Quick Sync Video, a technology that is exclusive to Intel CPUs with integrated graphics. It is highly recommended to choose a CPU with Quick Sync so that your system can run as efficiently as possible. Quick Sync is unavailable within virtual machines unless you pass through the Intel integrated graphics to the VM, and this does not work on all systems.

spuls

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you´re on a budget => intel i3 or ryzen 3200g. Good enough for a simple 8 camera system.

MythicFrost

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've just copied direct from this wiki page:

Blue Iris supports hardware-accelerated H.264 and H.265 video decoding through the use of Quick Sync Video, a technology that is exclusive to Intel CPUs with integrated graphics. It is highly recommended to choose a CPU with Quick Sync so that your system can run as efficiently as possible. Quick Sync is unavailable within virtual machines unless you pass through the Intel integrated graphics to the VM, and this does not work on all systems.
Oh, right. That makes sense!

Thank you!
I haven't got one on my system, at least I think I haven't got one. HP Prodesk SFF computer
Oh good to know. Integrated graphics is cheaper!
If you´re on a budget => intel i3 or ryzen 3200g. Good enough for a simple 8 camera system.
Cheers, I'll look at an Intel for the Quick Sync stuff.

ManFromKC

n3wb
Reaction score
I recommend intel.

I have an i9-9900K cpu, 1050Ti vid card, 32GB ram.

Blue Iris is using the Intel igpu (Quick Sync) and I have Deepstack using the 1050Ti gpu. 5 Cameras all at the full x265 5MP setting. My CPU usage sits at 1-3%. Substreams are key. Rarely goes over 6-7% when theres lots of Deepstack action going on and Im viewing the Main stream of the camera with a lot of motion going on.

ManFromKC

n3wb
Reaction score
Wanted to update this. I did what I could to get the CPU moving.

Home Assistant: 5 feeds background, 1 main feed foreground
WebUI from laptop: Main feed foreground
BI Server: Main feed from program and WebUI with the 5 camera feeds. Deepstack was also running some vehicles going down the street.

CPU maxed at 25%, ranged between 5% and 25% during the test. Probably jumping when Home Assistant would update the screen. All those are transcodes except the ones on the BI Server (Non-WebUI one)

Once I turn everything off and close BI down to service mode, CPU stays at 1-3%.

MythicFrost

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm actually considering re-using an existing 27" 2013 iMac (i5 4670 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM) for BlueIris to save costs.

I believe the integrated graphics on the i5 4670 don't do x265. Would recording from 8 cams @ 4mp in x265 mode crush this CPU without hardware acceleration?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
set the camera compress to h.264 and use the intel graphic acceleration on the I5-4790. It will give you better performance than the h.265

Last edited: