Blue Iris Setup Queries

its

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Guys

So have setup 4 hikvision cameras (1 internal and 3 external) on Blue Iris v4 on NUC i5.. They are set to record on trigger only via motion detection.. We have iOS apps installed and configured for push.. had the following questions regarding my scenario

1) The Internal Camera.. I want it to stop recording when I reach home and likewise start recording when we leave.. Also start when we goto sleep (which is not a fixed time - we can skip this).. what ways can we set this? Geofence ?? how to config that.. there were many options

2) the cameras are 3MP 2.8mm lens Hikvisions so good quality.. in motion detection alerts.. the pic is not great quality when we get email.. whats the recommended settings for the pics and where to set them? Also for video recording 1920 x 1080p @ 15fps good or increase that to 30fps

3) Any other settings to config -- confused with the 1 2 3 4 5 6 .. on the top right side.. ?

Will have more queries when i setup more stuff

Basically we want

1) external cameras - record on trigger..

2) Internal camera -- not record when we home.. record after that on trigger

3) good quality recording / pic so that it is useful... so recommended settings for that..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1) you can set a profile that only records the outside cameras but not the internal camera and manually switch the profile via the app. That is what the 1234567 on the top is for..this is a VERY powerful scheduling tool...there are a number of threads explaining this...first read the help file to get a basic idea.
Geofence can also be used to do this automatically. There are instructions in the help file...if you cant get it working let us know.
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?2280-Schedule-Help-BI-4&highlight=schedule
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?544-Recording-Alerts-Schedule&highlight=schedule
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?1419-Setting-up-Profiles&highlight=schedule
2) You can set the image quality in the alert tab - select configure for the email alert...the default is 50%...just set it to 100 for both quality and scale 15fps is way more than enough...you dont need 30..
3) see 1

its

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks..

I have created two profile.. home and away.. in the home one I have removed the indoor cameras by unuticking the profile number..

I have enabled geofence.. and in that I enabled Set profile and then in that first I chose hold then chose home.. and then chose run (as on run I can't switch profile)

I get push notification that i have entered or exited geofence.. but it does not seem to be switching profiles.. when I entered home.. the indoor camera triggered.. What am I doing wrong? Am I on the right path? I want to automate the switching profile if possible..

Also does BI have capability to switch off / on the camera entirely?? if it can do that then I can take it one step further and switch off the indoor camera entirely on entry..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Post some screen shots of your settings, both goefence and schedule...then we can go from there...

its

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here they are

1) Profile Names

2) Geofence when entering home

3) Geo Fence when exiting home

4) The camera where I dont want it to record / work when entering the home in geofence

I don't have any schedules setup.. I was working on geofence to automate it rather than time of the day..

Thx

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, set the "set profile" to hold instead of run for both entry end exit.
To completely disable the camera when its inactive, go to the camera properties for that camera > schedule and on the bottom uncheck continue to display video stream while inactive..

its

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks.. will test it when back home

What does Run, Hold, Temp mean? I thought Run makes more sense to "Run" the profile??

Also if I set "Only if all devices are inside/outside" and have a device in the list which is not enabled for geofence (Has a - under Geofence in the list) .. will it still work?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont use geofence..my understanding is that
Run with cause the schedule go back to normal mode - "run" as in negating any hold or temp settings...like many home thermostats.
Temp will temporarily change the profile to one of your choosing for a predetermined amount of time - this time limit is set in the blue iris options schedule "temporary profile time"
Hold will hold a profile of your choice until you manually change it or until a new command is issued to change it such as a geofence command.
So when you had run set, it was actually doing nothing.
As far as the "Only if all devices are inside/outside" im not sure ...the - sign just signifies that the system does not know the status of the device (i think)...i am not sure how to select the devices that will be included in "all the devices"..i would assume that it would include all the devices that have that box marked in their geofence settings...
Hopefully someone who uses this function can clarify.