Blue Iris settings issue

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh you have made a mess of things NOW lol.

You may want to deregister BI and move it to the C drive.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Yikes... Thought I might have to do a total reinstall a long time ago.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

So, deactivate from the BI settings, delete everything on E and C drive that has to do with BI? Then reload BI from my downloads and install on my C drive.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, but make sure you have your BI activation key for when you reinstall on the c drive.

Since the E drive should just be for video - I would delete everything.

But first decide if you will rebuild BI from scratch or do an export of the settings and import them in on the C drive.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, but make sure you have your BI activation key for when you reinstall on the c drive.

Since the E drive should just be for video - I would delete everything.

But first decide if you will rebuild BI from scratch or do an export of the settings and import them in on the C drive.
Is there a way to save my 10 camera settings before I do this?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go to the main BI settings page and do an export of the settings. Just to be safe, I would also go into each camera and export out those settings as well.

In theory, the global export should have them all, but I have seen instances where a camera was missing.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do I delete DeepStack from the C drive and reinstall it after BI reinstall?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to, but it probably wouldn't hurt to do that as well. You could try it first without deleting it and then if it doesn't work, it is a simple uninstall and reinstall.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Go to the main BI settings page and do an export of the settings. Just to be safe, I would also go into each camera and export out those settings as well.

In theory, the global export should have them all, but I have seen instances where a camera was missing.
So, I saved the export to a folder on my desktop cause it wanted to save to BI, on the C drive, which I will be deleting. Is that right to do? Again, not real computer savvy.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, save/move your exports to the C drive so that you do not erase them.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Make very sure to get a copy of you're registration for BI before you deactivate it. Easiest way to do that is bring up the help page and click "email support". That will copy all the important registration information to the cli[board. Then open a text editor, doesn't matter which one, and paste the information into it. Save, and maybe print out, a copy.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Think I'm going to tackle this thing tomorrow morning. Gonna put my 10TB WD surveillance drive from my Lorex NVR in my BI computer. Was thinking about replacing the the 3TB F drive with it, but don't know if I should use them both.
Can I do that? I'll have to get some advice from you guys on how to arrange things. Especially since my BI is writing to my 1TB ssd, not recommended by this forum.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got a 4TB and 8TB running for 24/7 recording and a 500GB running for alerts. If you have the room, SATA ports and power supply capabilities I'd say use both of them.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If your computer can take more drives, the more the better.

Most of us here do not use Stored. Usually only folks that use stored have a NAS.

Most here if we have multiple drives in the box, we split the cameras across the drives so when one poops out, we don't lose all the video.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Going to redo my BI after a trip since it is working. However, your tips for getting my clips and archive seem to be going very well except for one thing. Don't think I'm saving ALERTS to be able to look back on. Was hoping to be able to store at least three weeks' worth, you stated before that it takes quite a bit to make up 1gb.
My F drive has been at 274G since you had me clean up some files and make adjustments to the folders. When I click on the calendar in BI, it only goes back 26hrs as far as clicking on flagged items.
Capture4.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to hear!

The alerts folder will be empty (unless you are telling it to save Hi-rez or burn Deepstack on the image) as the alerts are the thumbnails on the main console to the left that corresponds to each triggered event.

So if you want the photos, then tell it to save hi-rez snapshots.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Glad to hear!

The alerts folder will be empty (unless you are telling it to save Hi-rez or burn Deepstack on the image) as the alerts are the thumbnails on the main console to the left that corresponds to each triggered event.

So if you want the photos, then tell it to save hi-rez snapshots.
Is that under Trigger, When triggered, Add to alerts list, then pick Hi-rez JPEG files?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have two places you can chose that at (well 3 if you are doing deepstack) - under the camera setting you can tell it when triggered to do database only, none, mpeg video or hi-rez. Or you can do it under the alerts when triggered.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Generally speaking and if you're recording 24/7 (continuously), alerts are nothing more than markers in the BI data base to the time of the alert so it can be retrieved for viewing from the continuous recording. The alrts folder will contain snapshots and DS data if you choose to save them.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am recording 24/7, need to be able to look back 3 weeks, ideally like clicking on the flagged timeline on the left in BI screen, to look at motions that were detected and recorded. I have T-Mobile home internet, so there's an issue with trying to do VPNs. Going to add a 10tb hard drive to BI from my Lorex NVR.