Blue Iris Random Triggering Problem

EganMontana

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a four outdoor camera network at my home. The cameras are connected to my Windows 10 PC with a router and ethernet cables plus wireless network. I am using Blue Iris V 4.8.4.3 to manage the videos.

Two of the cameras are viewing the roadways at the entrance to my home and at a corner of my property. I have Blue Iris set up to trigger and record whenever a vehicle passes on the roadways. I have BI configured as follows:

Trigger Tab: Motion Sensor: check

Motion Configuration page:
Basic, Min. object size: 156
Min. contrast: 16
Min. duration: 0.3 sec
Highlight: highlight motion selected

Advanced:
object detection: unchecked
Use zones and hot spot: checked

Algorithm: simple

Zone "Edit" Page:
I have a rectangle zone, about 20 % of the page height, across the middle of the page, which covers the roadway, left-to-right, for detecting vehicles passing.

The problem I am experiencing is that occasionally a passing vehicle will not cause the Motion sensor to detect the motion and will not cause a Trigger. On the Motion Sensor page (window) there is a live video in the upper-right section of the page showing the camera image that has been selected. It has three words by the image for showing detection activity, these words are Sense, Motion, and Trigger. Each of these words change to "Bold" text when they are enabled. Normally these three words activate immediately when a vehicle comes into the zone. However, sometimes the motion is never "Sensed" and there is not a Trigger enabled to cause a recording. This happens randomly.

I have watched these video events occur and have not been able to identify any pattern or relationship. I have adjusted the various settings and features on the BI Motion Configuration page with no success. It happens on both roadway cameras. These roadway cameras are different manufacturers but have similar image and video setups.

I have looked for similar problems on this website and the BlueIrissoftware.com website with no success.

Any help would be appreciated.

Duane

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have the Iframe and the frame rate set the same in the cameras?
Meaning, if you have FPS set to 15, do you also have the iFrame set to 15.
What cameras?
How fast are the cars traveling.

You can test the recorded video with Test With Motion Detection option enabled to see what is occuring.

What portion of the network is Wireless?

EganMontana

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply looney2ns

Camera 1 is a Speco O4VT1M 4Mp, FPS is 15, iFrame is ?, cannot find it on the Speco camera configuration settings
Camera 2 is a Nelly's NSC-2X4G-DM 4MP, FPS is 15, iFrame is 15
I usually keep my camera FPS and iFrame set to 15

Cars are entering and exiting a 4-way stop intersection, speed is probably 0-20 MPH

I will look into the "Test With Motion Detection" option, not sure where this if found in BI.

Wireless portion of the network includes these two cameras

Duane

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First of all trigger on record is a very bad idea, always constantly record.
Could be anything, personally feel 20% is far too small an area, remember by default it will use "sub-streams", so you need to ensure "sub-streams" is delivery sufficient quality to detect the motion.
Make time is also critical, so you need to consider the speed of the cars. Start with maximum sensitivity.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Camera 1 is a Speco O4VT1M 4Mp, FPS is 15, iFrame is ?, cannot find it on the Speco camera configuration settings
Camera 2 is a Nelly's NSC-2X4G-DM 4MP, FPS is 15, iFrame is 15
I usually keep my camera FPS and iFrame set to 15

Cars are entering and exiting a 4-way stop intersection, speed is probably 0-20 MPH

I will look into the "Test With Motion Detection" option, not sure where this if found in BI.

Wireless portion of the network includes these two cameras

Duane
Wifi for security cams is problematic. The continuous streaming of a cam can lead to drop outs, and other issues'.

EganMontana

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I make a mistake in an earlier response. The Speco cam is on a wifi network but the Nelly cam is on the ethernet network. Both of these cameras exhibit the same problem. This is why I believe the problem is associated with the Blue Iris Motion Detection side and not the camera side. Also, I can watch the video and see a good stream in the BI application while the motion detection is malfunctioning.

Duane

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I would ditch the WiFi cam and test. Blue Iris seems to handle wireless cameras terrible for some reason. I have 4 x Ruckus R320's with EXCELLENT performance and reliability, and I had all sorts of issues caused by a WiFi cam, removed it from BI and all my problems went away

EganMontana

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just to clarify my problem. I have three cameras on the outside of my house, all connected with ethernet cables to my pc and Blue Iris. I also have a shop building about 120 feet away from the house which has two cameras and these are connected back to the house using a wifi link, a pair of TP-Link CPE-210 2.4 Ghz wireless devices, which work very well in this application. One of the shop cameras is pointed towards the roadway intersection and this is the camera that is presenting the problem.

I do not want to dig a trench and bury an ethernet cable to the problem camera in hopes that that will solve the problem. This network should work without the intermittent loss of motion detection and I am seeking to solve this particular problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Duane

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just to clarify my problem. I have three cameras on the outside of my house, all connected with ethernet cables to my pc and Blue Iris. I also have a shop building about 120 feet away from the house which has two cameras and these are connected back to the house using a wifi link, a pair of TP-Link CPE-210 2.4 Ghz wireless devices, which work very well in this application. One of the shop cameras is pointed towards the roadway intersection and this is the camera that is presenting the problem.

I do not want to dig a trench and bury an ethernet cable to the problem camera in hopes that that will solve the problem. This network should work without the intermittent loss of motion detection and I am seeking to solve this particular problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Duane
you need to post images of all the settings you describe in post 1 including the zones. Remember also that the settings are profile specific so if you are switching between profiles....

EganMontana

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman

I will work on that tomorrow. Also, l am not using any profiles.

Duane

EganMontana

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok fenderman, here are some images of my camera locations and Blue Iris settings along with examples of triggering/no triggering:

1675622118375.png

The upper right (corner cam) and lower left (shop cam) are wireless cams connected to the BI PC in the house. The upper left (Garage cam) and the lower right (patio cam) are connected to the BI PC with ethernet cables. The Garage cam and the Corner Cam both monitor vehicle traffic on the roadway on the far sides of the views. The Corner Cam is the main focus of my random motion detection problem.

1675622705464.png

This is a view of the Corner Cam intersection.

1675622846443.png

View of the Corner Cam BI Setting page

1675623062824.png

View of the BI Trigger settings page for the Corner Cam

1675623239732.png

View of the Corner Cam BI Settings, Trigger, Motion, Configuration page, with "Highlight motion" selected.

1675623459155.png

View of Zone selection for the Corner Cam.

1675624098599.png

Here is a view of a car entering the Corner Cam from the left side of the roadway. Notice that the car is being "highlighted" by BI as it enters the zoned area and this is creating a "Trigger". This is what I expect and I would consider normal.

1675624608041.png

Here is another image of the Corner Cam a few minutes later with the vehicle entering the view from the left but not creating Motion Detection or a Trigger. This vehicle did create a trigger near the center of the image, near the stop sign and the tree, which often happens. But, sometimes the vehicle traverses the whole intersection without ever creating a trigger. This vehicle is a somewhat larger vehicle than the first vehicle that did create a trigger but I have not been able to make any correlation with vehicle size and triggering action.

I hope this explains my issue.

Duane

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1) you are using BI 4 which is 4 years old. I would suggest upgrading to v5 for only 35 bux.
2) your make time is set to 1.0 seconds not the .3 you stated in your op. Lower it to at least .7 maybe .3.
3) lower the object size to the absolute minimum
4) your keyframes are at .30 rather than 1. Match the iframe interval to the fps in the cameras interface. While this should not affect trigger, it does affect how long it takes for BI to begin recording after a trigger as it can only start on a keyframe. Dont use any smart or + codecs.
5) if all else fails you can use the hotspot zone to trigger on any change

EganMontana

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
fenderman, I made the adjustments you suggested in items 2) and 3) above and it did not affect the problem. However, when I started looking at the "keyframes" subject in item 4) it opened up a large area of subject matter that I am not familiar with. In searching the BI Help files for "keyframes" there is much I do not understand here. So, my next study area will be keyframes, frame rates, and iFrames, both in the BI application as well as video camera settings.

So for now, I will declare this issue "On Hold" while I do some research of the "framing" matter. If I ever come across a solution I will update this posting.

Thank you all for the comments.

Duane

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What cameras do you have as some do not allow you to adjust it and then you are stuck with whatever they are?