Blue Iris PC and Static IP?

Philly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello:

I apologize, if this is already out there, sorry, could not find exactly what I was looking for. Shall I change the PC running BI and connected directly via switch to a router to a static IP? The issue I encounter is when I do that I lookse connection to the Internet on that PC.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the X6. I'm using an Asus RT-AC68U, but have to assume that they are similar in terms of management. The first thing is to set a DHCP range so you can reserve a block of static IP addresses. Assign the camera to that block along with you BI PC and, perhaps, any other dedicated style devices as well. Then block the address of each camera from Internet access. That will leave the rest of the devices in the reserved block able to connect to the Internet normally.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you setting the static IP for the PC, on the PC (wrong) or in the router (correct)? I don't know how Netgear does it, but in my TP-Link router web interface, there is an 'address reservation' table on the DHCP server page. In there, you add the MAC address of your PC and assign a static IP address. It needs to fall within the DHCP IP address pool. Eg, if the pool is 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.254, don't assign 192.168.1.100 as the static ip.

Last edited:

Philly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you! I've assigned the static IP to the cameras but if I assign the same way static IP to the PC that running BI I am loosing internet connection. I'll try to assign via Router then.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you blocking Internet access on a "range" basis or based on the specific IP/MAC address?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
You may find it necessary to release and renew the IP config of the PC. This is done by opening a command prompt then entering the following commands -

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

That way the PC knows its own, new address.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like you might have just not filled in the gateway and DNS server fields when setting the static IP. Those both need to contain the IP address of your router.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some routers do not have a setting for DHCP reservation but all have a range of IP's it uses in its DHCP pool to hand out to network devices that are DHCP (not static).

In that case, choose an IP for the BI server that is OUTSIDE that pool, and make it static in the PC.

For example, a router of LAN IP of 192.168.1.1 may have a DHCP pool from 192.168.1.50 to -.99 so you could use .100 to .199 for your static IP's that you assign to cams, PC's, printers, etc.

Philly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some routers do not have a setting for DHCP reservation but all have a range of IP's it uses in its DHCP pool to hand out to network devices that are DHCP (not static).

In that case, choose an IP for the BI server that is OUTSIDE that pool, and make it static in the PC.

For example, a router of LAN IP of 192.168.1.1 may have a DHCP pool from 192.168.1.50 to -.99 so you could use .100 to .199 for your static IP's that you assign to cams, PC's, printers, etc.
Thank you, when I make it static in the PC with BI it loses internet connection though...:banghead:

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you post a screen grab from the command "ipconfig /all" when you are unable to connect to the Internet?

Last edited:

Philly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you post a screen grab from the command "ipconfig /all" when you are unable to connect to the Internet?
Thank you! Attached. With settings 1, I do have internet access and Settings 2 with static IP no internet access.
PC with BI connected via switch to the Router. IP address on PC doesn't set to static on Settings 1.

Last edited: