Blue Iris on HomeOffice PC recommended? Hardware?

kte

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

please excuse my grammar, I am not a native english speaker and no friend of just using translators :D

i am using an Optiplex 3050 SFF with Intel i5 7500 @ 3,4 GHz with 16 GB DDR4 128 GB Nvme SSD and 2,5" WD Purple HDD 2TB

Blue Iris DB is located on nvme,
Alerts and new on HDD

My Setup is:

3 * 4K Cams
2 * 3K Cams
2-3 * 4K Cams upcoming

Substreams are activated and the system is running fine, except some laggy streams almost every time just in this moment when I want to look quickly whats going on.

Now I am thinking of upgrading my hardware. Just found a HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini, i7 9700 @ 3,0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 128 GB nvme and I would install the 2,5" WD in it. Costs around 250€

My plan is to use this pc to run Blue Iris and also for my HomeOffice work. My HomeOffice work is realised with VMWare, so needs nearly no performance.

The reason why I am thinking about this is to have more performance running Blue Iris Streams and save electrical power consumption (and expand lifespan) not using my overpowered gaming pc 9 hours a day.

Now my questions:
  • is it recommended to use Blue Iris Server pc on the same daily work pc?
  • is it neccessary for Blue Iris to upgrade my system from i5 7th Gen to i7 9th Gen?
  • is it recommended to use a mini pc? The i7 is a non-T version, but I don't know if it could overheat or lower the power in this small case?

I am aware, that I have to restart this pc sometimes for updating Windows or something. But this is ok for me. I could time these updates for my own, when I don't need a recording.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
You can check the performance of your current set up easy enough. I'm going to bet that BI doesn't use but a small fraction of the current computer's processing power and RAM.

Furthermore, it is highly recommended that you put BI on it's own dedicated machine. Not because it can't run with other software, but because we are trying to provide the most stable platform for BI to operate on. If you have gone to the expense of getting a camera system and BI, why risk not having the footage when an event occurs because something else caused your computer to crash.

My recommendation would be to get a second computer to use as your personal computer/desktop. Use the existing BI machine for BI only. Remove all the other "unneeded" software from the computer.

kte

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your answer. Yes, i think you are right. My system is most likely good enough for my BI and my existing setup.

However, I hadn't thought about the fact that a 3.5 inch hard drive doesn't fit in a mini PC and there is no WD Purple with 2.5 inch.

So i think everything is fine with my setup and i will better buy a seperate, weaker and cheaper mini pc for just doing my work.

Thank you for saving me money :)